1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DT-10 Combo ( Resale ) ??? What is wrong ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rocketdog, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Member

I have noticed over the years that these guns are hard to get rid of unless you want to give them away. What seems to be the problem ? I appreciate your response.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I think it has more to do with the lack of marketing here in the states by Beretta. They are a very fine gun and one of the best kept secrets in trapshooting.

One of the best that has ever played the game shoots one, and very well I may add.

They just aren't the latest and greatest and therefore suffer in resale. Most all of the older design (pre high rib / adjustable everything) guns have suffered because of the economy.

ss

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Resale is a funny thing. I guess products are funny in any category. Rarely is the "best" also the most sought after. Some products just have a certain mystique.

Consider computers. In the 80s CTOS was much better than MS DOS, but have you ever even heard of CTOS? I'll bet not. The Winchester Model 12 was one of the best pump guns ever made, but they couldn't compete financially. Why? Because the next competitor was able to sell an inferior product for 10% less.

The DT-10 is a great gun. I had one and wish I still had it. It developed an undeserved reputation early on for opening when shot. A little research showed that this was an anomaly not the norm. Mine never did it. Mine had the sweetest triggers and smoothest action of any gun I've ever used.

Now that Beretta has released the DT-11, I bet we'll see a resurgence in the value of the DT-10.

4. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

A lot of it has to do with looks. I always thought it was one of the most ugly guns out there.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I guess the fact that you shoot a Krieghoff says nothing about your taste in guns? Those slab-sided things are about as ugly as they come.

ss

6. sanremo

sanremo Member

LOL, I agree the DT 10 is a great gun. Had no problems with mine over 3 years of ownership. I think the laugh is on the kgun guy....priced way too high, swing like a tree trunk, and are prone to trigger problems.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was looking for a DT-10 not long ago, got prices from several people as well as their opinions of the gun itself ... I figured if Big Leo would shoot one there must be something to it ... When it was all said and done I added a little money to what I was going to have to pay for the DT-10 and bought a Perazzi MX-2000/8 and am glad I did ... I got many to several PM's from people who did own or had owned DT-10's and was told by more people how much trouble they had with them as compared to those who praised the gun ... I guess you can get good and bad in everything but I am glad I didn't take any chances and went with the percentages and never looked back ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

You think that is bad, look what happened to Kolar values. The whole gun market values are down. Three years ago you had a hard time finding a Kolar, or K-80 for under $8000. Now you can find them under $6000. The economy and the cost of shooting has taken its toll on the whole gun market, not just the DT-10's.

9. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Shortshucker,

Take it easy, I'm not commenting on your wife or something, just a gun.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Lol. I'm not married, but if was you could make all the comments you want. I'm sure that my 20 something sweetie would take it all in stride.

ss

11. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

All gun values have dropped a bit. Especially fixed and adjustable low rib guns with the advent of the adjustable hi rib models. Most of these guns will level off at a moderate price depending on their age. Some guns are harder to sell than others and in many cases it's not about price as much as demand.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There's a perception about what a gun should cost based upon what they sell for as a breed. Berettas are a Browning-class gun pricewise and it's hard for people to accept paying a Perazzi price for one, no matter how much better than the standard Berettas it might be. It's why there are options that are available on Cadillacs that aren't offered on Chevrolets - they don't fit with the public's perception of a Chevrolet.

Soon after the 682 Gold E and the DT10 came out, a Beretta rep at a state shoot told me that he would buy two 682s before he bought one DT10.

Ed

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I find it interesting that most who bad mouth the DT-10 have never owned one. This is the same with other guns as well.

14. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

"I find it interesting that most who bad mouth the DT-10 have never owned one. This is the same with other guns as well."

Well what's wrong with a DT0 is the early guns were a problem. And yes! Rastoff I owned one! It went "soft" in the lock up after only 25K rounds, and I had it fixed for "true doubling" twice. Pulling the trigger and having both barrels touch off gets your attention. And it happen once too often and I off loaded my DT10, when it returned from being fixed the thrid time.

I will say I've looked at them again and thought long and hard about another, as many report no problems with later guns. But as I now have a Zoli, I may be set for a while!

But as to the question of "what's wrong with a DT10, it was those early guns that gave them a bad name. I will add for a "semi-expensive" gun my DT10 forearm was not fitted correctly either. It had to be "re-bedded" in the front to fit tightly. I will also add my 682s (I've owned four) were far less problem and add far more rounds shot through them than my DT10, and none of the 682s ever had an issue!

15. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

the worst thing about K80 triggers is "home gunsmiths" The K80 triggers were not meant to be serviced by the inexperienced and many triggers got botched by amateurs. function for awhile but due to give trouble, a properly serviced K80 will shoot thousands of rounds trouble free

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I wasn't bagging on you unplugged. If I had had your trouble, I'd be shy of the DT-10 as well. The comment, "I'm glad I didn't buy one because I heard..." just bugs me.

When I bought mine I started hearing all kinds of comments. "Oh, that gun is nice. Too bad they're so poorly made." "Just wait 'til it starts doing X." "I had a friend who knew this guy who's sister dated a guy who thought about buying one, but..." It just gets nauseating after a while.

Your comments are well taken unplugged. You reported your personal experience. That's the kind of info that's good to hear. Far too many products are bashed because someone "heard" something.

"I've never sent a gun to them, but I've heard that XYZ has terrible customer service." "I've never owned one, but..." you get the idea.

17. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

People always talk about what go's wrong but don't say much when it is right.
    If you buy a gun or car it don't make a different.
    Thats why there a service department.
    I have a DT10L and it is one very nice gun and well built. If something go's wrong with it. I'll fix it. It's a gun that worth fixing and keeping.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"a properly serviced K80 will shoot thousands of rounds trouble free"

Geezzz i'd hope so. If your paying that kinda money, the SOB better guarentee more than a few thousand rounds. I have quite a few quns that were less than a 1/4th the cost of that K80 and have provided far more than a few thousand rounds trouble free. Just say'n...........

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When the DT-10s first came out I bought one at the Grand from High Grade it came with 2 trigger assy's I gave one assy to Phillips gunsmithing for installing a release in the other one and then they had an exchange trigger to offer a shooter who wanted a release.

I had no problems w/the DT-10, it just would not shoot high enough at max setting, approx 80/20 so we parted ways. There no reliability problem with the DT-10, they just did not catch on, originally if memory serves me right they were less than $5,000.

Dr.longshot

20. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Gene Sears told me many years ago, "Both are good companies, I just have a hard time selling an expensive Beretta or a cheap Perazzi".

I would take that as perception over reality. While they may not be used a lot here in the states, the international market seems to like them....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.