1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dt-10 / 687/ 682

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You've pretty much covered the differences as far as I am aware. They use the same barrels and the 682/687s have inertia triggers as well, but they can be converted to mechanical.

I doubt they are made of different materials but I believe the DT-10 might be a more durable design. However, that difference would only be of value to someone who shoots the same gun a LOT for a long time.

Ed

2. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Ed the barrels of a DT-10 are not even close to that of a 682,they are heavier taper different,balance different and have a different rib,the Dt-10 has a much different feel and balance and is definately a higher quality gun than a 682/687,the only similar feature are they use the same choke tubes.Jerry

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Definitely the feel and balance of the DT10 is superior [my opinion]. Fred

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

First lets start with the differences between the 687 and 682. The 682 has replaceable "shoulders" and an adjustable trigger. The 687 does not. The engraving is different. Other than those three things they are identical. The adjustable trigger can be added to the 687 for less than $100 and no one ever replaces the shoulders so that is completely superfluous in my book.

The DT-10 is a completely different animal. As you've noted it has a cross bolt lock up. The barrels are not the same as the 68x series of guns. They are made of the same material as the SO guns, but lack the fine hand finishing process of the SO guns. Still, a much nicer barrel than the 68x series.

My DT-10 had the nicest trigger I've ever used on a shotgun. It was better than any Perazzi, Kolar, Krieghoff or Ljutic I've ever used. I'm no expert on them, but that trigger was nice. Just the right amount of pull weight, crisp and almost no over travel. Just a fine example of a trigger.

You did well to get the DT-10.

5. mflora

mflora Member

I have to agree w/ Rastoff. Having shot P guns for over 30 years, I was surprised to find that my recently acquired DT10 has a trigger as good, if not better than, any Perazzi trigger I have had.
    Mark

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to have misled anyone regarding the barrels. I was going by what a Beretta rep told me at the 2001 Connecticut State Shoot when the two models were fairly new in the market.

Ed

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

Pretty sure the SO series uses Boehler Antinit steel, the 680 series and the DT10 use Excelsior steel. No idea what the difference is between the steels.

john

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

There is a lot of misinformation floating around and some of what I have may be wrong. One guy I know of recently called Beretta to find out what the differences were between two of their auto guns and Beretta couldn't tell him what they were. So, I'm not putting a lot of confidence in what Beretta tells me.

Even so, what I was told was the DT-10 barrels were made on the same line/shop that makes the SO barrels and then they were finished in the same place where the 68x series were finished. I cannot verify that this is true or not.

What I can say for sure is that if I ever buy another Beretta, it will be a DT-10 or SO.

9. skeezix

skeezix Member

They may very well be made on the SO line - I think they have the same style of monobloc as the SO series (I have a DT10 - I've never seen an SO) But the bbls are excelsior steel.

I did find this blurb on shotgunworld

"There is a considerable difference between these two bbl steels. Boehler steel has very high nickel content and is very resistant to rust therefore these bbls are not chrome lined and can be thin walled and fairly light weight. Excelsior steel from Beretta is chrome lined and has less nickel content and is usually heavier in weight. I have had three diff SO guns and have seen many others and they always have Boehler steel with one exception. I used a friends 2 bbl SO4 trap set built for the U.S. market and the unsingle bbl as well as the o/u were both excelsior steel. My ASE gold with the high rib has excelsior bbls but all of the low rib ASEs that I have seen use Boehler. I believe that all the Beretta premium guns with high ribs were built for the U.S. market and use excelsior whereas the low rib premium guns use Boehler steel. My thinking is that most of the high grade Berettas are designed for the world market where International trap and skeet are the rule and can use light weight bbls to good advantage but for the U.S. market, a heavier gun is generally preferred so there is a disadvantage to using lightweight steel. Just another Beretta mystery. Jerry"

fwiw

john

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

excelsior steel beretta

is the beretta dt 10 and the 682 gold e similar