1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dryfire

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ric3677, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with this?

My wife has decided to shoot after many years and here in Montana the winters are nasty and windy and not much time to practice. This seems like a way to stay in shooting shape.

Rickyd

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Be sure to use snap caps in the chamber.

Otherwise the firing pin and all the otherstuff that makes it go bang is going to suffer.

3. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

There are a couple of books that recommend making your own snap caps out of spent shells. Just pop the primer out and fill the area with a high quality silicone caulk. Let it go off for a couple of days then trim it back flush with the shell casing. Makes for a cushy landing for your firing pin. Another recommendation was to cut the shell down a little bit so that you instantly recognize it from a live shell. See all the posts on Terry Jordan's wall chart.
    This is a close as you can get to practicing at a driving range for trap shooting.
    d

4. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Rick,

Sounds like instead of Rick we should be calling you "Tricky Dicky". I'm betting the rest of the story goes "well honey if you're going to start shooting next spring we need to get you practicing, remember I’m just thinking of you. Really Honey. All I need to help you out is about $1200”. Great idea! I sure hope you pull this off and have fun with your new toy when you do!

5. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

I recently purchased a Terry Jordan wall chart and am very happy with it. It's too soon to tell if it improves my scores but it has definitely improved my swing and stamina. Nothing like doing 50-100 gun mounts and swings every night to stay in shape.

Terry also included a couple of homemade snap caps with the chart.

Ralph

6. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

It is what you make of it.

The wall charts can't give you the initial call-track-fire practice the Dryfire does.

I have one. Went from C to A and 23 to 26 yard line in one and a half seasons.

Biggest thing is, as with all computers, garbage in, garbage out. If you don't set it up right, it doesn't help. If you don't know your gun, it doesn't help. If you don't know your shells, it won't help. Don't know what your club sets targets to? Bla Bla Bla. You have to program all these variables into the computer, and if they are not correct, it throws everything off.

Best thing is that you can experiment. What if you shot the 1250 Nitros rather than your wussy 1000 fps reloads for handicap? 1oz vs 1 1/8oz. Do you shoot the same scores with 1oz at 1290fps than 1 1/8oz at 1200? I found out I shot the rear out of most targets when I shot the 1145 stuff at handicap. Solution -- move up to 1200. Center hits went up by 50%.

Only bad thing - you tend to still move smooth after several hundred practice targets, as you have not beat yourself up actually shooting the gun. It can't replicate fatigue.

I paid for mine in saving gas and target fees not going to the club. Yes, I'd say it's worth it.

7. Dusted1

Dusted1 TS Member

I have a complete dryfire system with extras that i would like to sell as i have moved and the new house doesn't have room for it. Email me for paticulars and what i have. you can setup two shotguns.
    Carl

8. gettysburgtrapshooter

gettysburgtrapshooter TS Member

I have one and have had excellent results. You need to pattern your gun first if you have not already done so. Teh guy at dryfire (Bob) is really good at customer service and helping youget things set up properly

9. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Perazzitms,

You sound like you know the most about this system that I am talking about.

If you don't mind I would like to ask you some questions. No sense in wasting thread length.

ric3677atbresnandotnet

Rickyd

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've been using one for severial years. E-mail and I'll help you. It's a good investment. It will make you a better & faster shooter. I also have the TJ wall chart, and there is no comparison. Like apples and oranges.

11. Dusted1

Dusted1 TS Member

Thanks to everyone who resonded, the setup has been sold.
    Carl

12. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"I found out I shot the rear out of most targets when I shot the 1145 stuff at handicap. Solution -- move up to 1200."

NEWSFLASH: all trap targets are hit in the rear. :)

13. jastrapmaster

jastrapmaster Member

I have a newer system for sale. Had to move and do not have room to use the system. It is a single head unit with painted wall covering and trap house. Will help with your shooting.E-mail jeffcamps@copper.net for more info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.