1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DryFire Clay shooting simulator - Is it worth $

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Clay Farmer, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clay Farmer

Clay Farmer TS Member

I would like any input good or bad from anyone who has used or owned this system. I have reseached this on their website, but still uncertain as to if I want to make the purchase. The system seems very primative to me.
    I am a very inconsistant shooter and looking for some indoor help this winter.
    Thanks,
    Rick

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Rick, practice with Terry Jordan's Wall Chart and do Phil Kiner'ss eye excercises. Might get monotonous at times, but have discipline and stay with it and I believe you will see an improvement in your shooting. Lot less money then going out and buying a simulator.

Good Shooting!

3. RMR

RMR Member

Hi Rick
    I got one last Christmas for my Daughter- it really helped her- especially when she missed to figure out where her theoretic shot pattern was in relationship to the target- she now realy understands leading the target. I would get it again. I also use it. It does take a little set up and figuring out your POI of your gun ona pattering board.

Its not exactly shooting at the range but I really do think its a benifit

RMR

4. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

Rick

My son shoots with a Pheasants Forever Team and wants to shoot quite a bit. It was tough keeping up with the amount of shells he was going through and the target costs. I checked into the Dry-Fire system and was concerned about how realistic it would be as compared with being on the trap field. I wanted a trainer not a toy. We went to the dealer in Michigan to look at the system. After trying the system for about an hour I purchased one. One thing that sold me on the system was that my son has a habit of shooting the left side off of straight away targets. The Dryfire showed this right away.

As far as the system being primative. The machine has you setting up exact measurments from the shooters eye to the floor, eye to front bead, distances to wall from shooter's eye and machine to wall. Then you set up the percentage that your gun shoots above the bead, the choke and load type. This thing takes everyting into consideration that I can think of. You can even add variable wind from different directions. We took ours a step further and took pictures of the trap fields at Jaqua's then painted the wall of our room to match.

The only points that I can find that are not like the real thing are the lack of recoil and I think you can pick up the bird sooner with the Dryfire. I am sold on the one we have and it is well on its way to paying for itself in shooting costs. I hope this helps.

Brian "Robbie's Dad"

5. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

To say its primitive would make one such as myself who owns one wonder what planet your from or that you just have an unfounded opinion about everything.....

Clay,
    I have owned one for now a couple of years and I love it! You can do all the gun lifts and shoot at spots on the wall but your not chasing a target and when pulling the trigger you still have no idea if you are hitting the target. Dryfire gives you that moving target that is accurate in it's flight, and it tells you where you are off upon pulling the trigger! It has helped me out when I start having problems I get it a=out and shoot a few round and it "schools" me right back in the groove.

Besides I think Bob Ridge still has a 100% money back guarantee if you don't like it send it back no questions asked! I'll bet you keep it! Call Bob and talk directly to him. If your near central Illinois I'd be glad to have you come over and shoot on mine!!

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

We have one and my wife is the primary user. The first year we had it she shot 5000 practice rounds on it prior to going to the Grand. She was D class runner up that year. I had to chuckle at the "primitave " comment as well. Dry Fire is as "real time" as simulators get. If you feed it bad data you get bad results. Set it up properly and it is an amazing training tool. Bob Ridge is a fantastic man to deal with. His support is first class. For our money it is the best training tool avail. If we could figure a way to add recoil.. Buy it and enjoy. Jake and Sarah

7. Clay Farmer

Clay Farmer TS Member

Thanks everyone for the input. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone saying it looked primative.Looks like I may have to look at this much closer and also talk to Bob Ridge

Smokeater, do you have the name of the dealer in Michigan? I am also right between Jaqua's and the Michigan Line.

Rick

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have the dual head set up with the 12 foot painted background and the 3d trap house. I will also include a laptop to run it. It has 2 gun setups in it and will let it all go for 1200.00

9. Kerry

Kerry TS Member

Can the Dry Fire also be set up for trap doubles?

10. 1939 gunner

1939 gunner Member

I WAS GIVEN A DRY FIRE SET UP LAST YEAR.NEVER GOT INTO IT.I WILL SELL THE WHOLE SET UP INCLUDING WALL CHART FOR 850.00 SHIPPED. THANKS WADE 360 425 9233

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Yes it can be set up for doubles. Must have the dual head system.

Rick, call Bob Ridge direct. He is very customer oriented. Jake

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pilots and test pilots use simulators to hone their flying skills with any number of problems that may possibly pop up? This may be the best teacher available to shooters today without the added expense of ammo, targets or clinic costs! Once a shooter sees the mistakes for themselves, they can fix it, not until!

Hap

13. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

Rick

The name of the dealer in Michigan is Bob Schlatterbeck in Clarkston Mi. He has a website www.ProperGunFit.com Nice Guy

Sent you a PM

Brian

14. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

The dual head is not necessary for trap or skeet doubles. With the dual head both targets are thrown & can be seen simultaneously. With the single head, the second target appears only after shooting at the first target. I have the single head & find it more than adequate for skeet doubles. Haven't tried it on trap doubles.

I wouldn't take a gold monkey for my DryFire unit. I second all the kind remarks about Bob Ridge.

Bill

15. Clay Farmer

Clay Farmer TS Member

himark you have a PM

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dry fire shotgun shooting simulator

dry fire simulator for sale

dry fire target simulator review
dry fire trap shooting simulator for sale