1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

dry firing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Well not really "dry firing", just dropping the hammers on empty chambers at the end of the day to relieve compression on the mainsprings. Beretta 687, does it hurt the gun to drop the hammers on empty chambers without snap caps?

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Yes, you need to have something for the firing pin to hit. Bill Malcolm

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We just had a long thread on this at the beginning of the month. "Does your club have a snap cap policy?" see link. Mark

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Here's an interesting alternative to snap caps. Put a plastic bottle cap in front of your firing pin and pull the trigger.

The problem with snap caps is you get into the habit of putting something in your gun, closing it and pulling the trigger - usually in a place where you shouldn't be doing those things. It can lead to trouble.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIjWM1rZAB5-d_orETP9KiMAPeaJ34G7JYQRMHRxi9gJoSMVOtRA

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thank you Bill.

John

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Browning told me, at the Grand, dry firing will not harm a BT 99 ?

Clyde

7. Oregunner

Beretta sells snap caps, see link, with the following explanation. "The only safe way to dry fire your Beretta shotgun is with the use of snap caps to protect the firing mechanism." I don't know if they are just trying to sell snap caps, but that is from Beretta. Mark

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Bill, tell us exactly why "you need to have something for the firing pin to hit" on a Beretta.

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Compression on main springs isn't a problem per the more enlightened engineering types on ts.com. There's a thread on that too. The point is compression doesn't wear springs out. Cycling springs does. Consider doing nothing.

10. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Johnny, ... Because the Service Manager from Beretta told me so when I had mine in for service at the Grand some years back. He did not try to sell me any snap caps. I assume that it is the way the trigger functions. I wrote it that way, so we didn't get into the snap caps discussion, again (LOL). Bill Malcolm

11. just_bob

just_bob Member

If you feel the need to release the trigger spring

Place a piece of buffalo horn against the face of the receiver

and fire away.

In the days before modern spring steel and before snap caps

that was how it was done.

Hard wood or hard rubber could work as well but be less elegant.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm still finding it amusing that there was a sudden need for blaming snap caps instead of blaming the idiots practicing unsafe gun handling. Whatever happened to gun always pointed in a safe direction etc etc??

13. Oregunner

The new policy at our club is to treat every gun as if it is loaded, which means you don't pull the trigger in the clubhouse or anywhere else where a loaded gun would cause a problem. So take it outside, point it in the air or downrange, and dryfire either on an empty chamber or a snapcap, if you must. Then immediately case it. All guns in the clubhouse must be cased, or open and empty. Mark

14. MDshotgunner

MDshotgunner Active Member

I have over 120,000 rounds through a Beretta 682 (wide frame-silver receiver). I haven't used snap caps, but release the hammers after I take the barrel off. I've replaced two hammer spring assemblies. One for each barrel. I shot the gun for a year with a partially broken hammer assembly. I've also replaced one hammer. When I broke the hammer I thought, maybe I should be using snap caps. Then I thought how ridiculous it was to worry about snap caps. $100.00 (current price) worth of parts in 20 years of shooting the gun almost every week.

We don't allow the use of snap caps in the club house due to safety concerns.

I would be interested in what Cole Guns or another high volume Beretta gunsmith has to say about the issue. I've never asked my gunsmith.

15. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I think Ruger is the only manufactory that says dry firing their guns are ok.

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Never, ever drop the hammer on a Ljutic Trigger when out of the gun w/o catching the hammer, It will break the hammer at pivot point or the hammer pin will break, I know have seen it happen several times

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. Avatar

You'd think they could design a hammer or use metal that wouldn't break so easily.

18. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

With Ljutic or a TM do the following. With the gun fully open and unloaded pull and hold the trigger while closing the gun. Hammer will fall slowly following the cocking action in reverse. Hammer will seat gently against face of receiver. Not sure how this method would work with a release trigger or other brands of guns. Marc

19. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Luvtrapguns,

Thanks for the tip. I use snap caps. I will try try this on my Ljutic. I wonder if my trigger is damaged from a previous owner who stored the gun cocked or dry fired it.

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

luvtrapguns,

That won't work with a single trigger/double barreled gun.