1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dry firing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by huntinandhotrods, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

My whole life I have been told not to dry fire a gun. Is this because it lets the firing pin extend out to far? I have never under stood why or how this breaks a firing pin. Do the snap caps really work? Is one type of snap cap better than the others. I figure I need to get a couple snap caps so I can safely relieve the tension on my springs. Thanks Huntinandhotrods

2. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

If you punch out the primer on a spent shell and fill the hole with a high quality silcone the shell will work as an excellent snap cap. Just use a sharp knife to trim the excess silicone down flush or slightly above the face of the shell. Obviously, there will be many after me that will want to remind you to doctor the shell in a way that completely distinguishes it from a live shell.

d

3. Mykidstrap

Mykidstrap TS Member

I would buy a product made for dry firing vs making one, IMO.

The reason it causes over penetration; the stop on the firing pin and the inside wall of the bolt are hitting one another with full impact when dry firing, because it's a direct hit between the two without a primer or simulated primer taking energy away from the firing pin. Its just a matter of time, the firing pin wears down and will travel too deep into the primer. You'll know in some guns, because you'll get powder burn on your face. Not worth the risk. One more reason to wear safety glasses.

Glenn

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would't worry about your springs, they wear out from the cycles between compressed and extended.(actual use)

Also if you do use a snap cap or what ever to drop the hammer(s) your gun will be in the closed action position and stay that way until you remove the snap cap at which time the springs will get compressed again. A better way to store your shotgun is action open or better yet broken down and cased. Either of those options will leave the springs compressed but no harm in that, I would much rather my gun was stowed action open/broken down.

Springs are cheap, gun accidents aren't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.