1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dry firing Remington 11-87 Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by linkerman, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linkerman

linkerman Member

Will dry firing an 11-87 Trap cause any harm to the gun. I just bought my son the Terry Jordan wall chart and just don’t want the hassle of messing with snap caps.

Thanks

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just normal wear and tear. HMB

3. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Dry firing any gun is not something I would do often - like when using the wall chart.

Have an extra firing pin handy and know how to replace it. Dry firing an 1187 is only hard on it.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have an 870 that I have dry fired 1000's and 1000's of times. 10,000 times at least. Same firing pin. It has not hurt it in any way that is detectable. It is VERY EASY to take the pin out of your 11-87 if you want to be extra sure. It's not worth the hassel of taking it in and out for what the pin costs even though it is an esy procedure. You should have an extra pin on hand as well as spring and extractor anyway, if you plan on shooting auto's in quanity. Good luck. Jeff

5. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Jeff - you will never be able to see fatigue stress in your firing pin; but it is there. The pins tend to break at the very rear, where they go from thick to thin. If the pin does not tranfer the energy of the hammer strike to something (like a primer or snap cap), it "rings." The different thicknesses of the pin ring at different frequencies, causing stress where the thickness changes. Eventually, this causes failure.

So like I said - and you seem to agree - have an extra firing pin on hand, know how to change it (you are right - it is easy) and dry fire away. Good catch on having an extra spring and extractor as well. When I was shooting my 1100-T all the time, I just carried an extra complete bolt assembly with me. Only needed it once - but I was glad I had it that day.

Joe

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

My firing pin is ringing, but no one is answering. HMB

7. Squeal

Squeal Member

I have broken 2 Carrier Latches on my 1100 trigger. I dont dry fire it anymore. See if that helps.

8. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

HMB - that's funny!

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Squeal,

If you take the trigger out of the gun and dry fire it you will break the carrier latch most of the time. HMB

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

.Squeal that happens when you fire it out of the gun. I learned that one the hard way myself with my 28ga 1100. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1187 dry fire

is it safe to dry fire an 11-87

remington 1187 trap