1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dry firing in the basement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhmorrisn, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

For myself the out door trap season is just about over. Except for an occasional meat shoot at Papillion Gun Club it’s a waiting game until spring.

To do something even if it’s wrong has me wondering if maybe some dry firing in the basement might be in order

I have an area that is now my air gun facility that is about 12 feet wide by 10 high. The air gun distance 10 meters or about 33 feet but I can get a bit further if necessary.

Now if I was to staple some paper rock silhouettes on this wall, based on the width of my wall, what is the distance I should holler, Pull from?

And mostly, is this a workable plan?

Jim

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I hate to tell you this but you can holler Pull all you want and they still won't fly, the wall gets in the way.

But I do know that a primer will send a wad right spang through a hefty cardboard box.

HM

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Go to the above website and you will find the answer to your question... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I'm using Terrys' Wall Chart since the cold and snow have arrived in Missour.

The best part, is that no one is calling "LOST"

ed.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"You would be better off to find a bore mounted laser light that would light up when you pull the trigger."</I></blockquote>I love it when people say "just 'FIND'" this or that like you can go pick one off a tree!

Easier said than done. Orvis used to sell such an animal but no longer does. I haven't found anyone else who does. Always-on laser bore sighters, yes, but nothing with a firing pin activated switch.

MK

6. Unknown1

No good reason to get cocky and sarcastic about it...I said I couldn't find one. You're just better than me, that's all.

OK!! I'm asking...
    because my computers and my gun dealer have been unable to find one! Hell...we don't even know what to call it: shotgun bore laser light? shotgun laser firing pointer? switched laser bore light?...

MK

7. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

I'm a Terry Jordan chart user. I saw how it helped me improve last year. Best investment I've made.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Thumbs up on Terry's Wall Chart. He even made me a smaller version for use in my living room.

9. Unknown1

Much obliged, Rick

MK

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dryfire computer practice system. It has everything you'll ever want in a basement practice system, except recoil. A used one just sole on this site for about $900.

11. Unknown1

I've been trying dry fire practice to learn to move from the waist.

I colored a dozen ping-pong balls orange and hung them on fishing line from the ceiling of my screen porch. I play in the morning before the breeze get too energetic.

Since you have enough width, lay out 5 posts across the width of your wall about 12 feet from the fake rocks and move across from one side to the other as you practice. Beats standing in one spot.

MK

12. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

There are more replies on the subject of practicing dry firing in the basement than I had figured on.

Before you decide if dry firing is good or bad, you have to state why you are doing it in the first place and what the desired results.

A generation or so ago, a gentleman by the name of Dick Sheer coached the local high school team. When asked by some of the team member’s parents on what can they do to practice at home, here’s about what Dick suggested as I remember it.

Inside the house somewhere or outside where the neighbors’ won’t get bend out of shape seeing someone swing a shotgun around, place about a 10 foot string or cord horizon across a wall or something similar.

Then standing about 10 to 12 feet away, they should mount the shotgun to their shoulder. Point the barrel at one end of the string and swing the barrel along the string to the other end. When they get to the end, pull the trigger.

The ones, who did this, worked the concept of pointing at the target, swinging the shotgun, trigger control and also developed some muscle tone in the process.

I’m not aware of when Terry’s Wall Chart hit the market. I’ve heard about them for some time but ever saw one until recently at the Papillion Gun Club. It is very impressive to say the least. To me, this chart takes dry firing a shotgun, to a higher level.

I’ve seen the laser things you stick in the barrels and heard about the $900 computer simulators but I’ve never looked into either of them.

For me it all boils down to next spring when by then, I’ll be 77. I do believe that I can be ready for next spring if I spend some time dry firing.

My plan is to dry fire 25 shots spread over about 30 minutes at least three times a week. In between shots I’ll rest my 870 on my Gun Buddy. I'll have a picture of my targets in a day or two.

Here is one more parting shot. Whither or not you are dry firing at a spot on the wall or on one of Terry’s Wall Charts and when you pull the trigger just as your barrel is clearing the spot, it’s a hit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.