1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dry Firing in the basement part 2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhmorrisn, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

May 28, 2010
    There are more replies on the subject of practicing dry firing in the basement than I had figured on.

Before you decide if dry firing is good or bad, you have to state why you are doing it in the first place and what the desired results.

A generation or so ago, a gentleman by the name of Dick Sheer coached the local high school team. When asked by some of the team member’s parents on what can they do to practice at home, here’s about what Dick suggested as I remember it.

Inside the house somewhere or outside where the neighbors’ won’t get bend out of shape seeing someone swing a shotgun around, place about a 10 foot string or cord horizon across a wall or something similar.

Then standing about 10 to 12 feet away, they should mount the shotgun to their shoulder. Point the barrel at one end of the string and swing the barrel along the string to the other end. When they get to the end, pull the trigger.

The ones, who did this, worked the concept of pointing at the target, swinging the shotgun, trigger control and also developed some muscle tone in the process.

I’m not aware of when Terry’s Wall Chart hit the market. I’ve heard about them for some time but ever saw one until recently at the Papillion Gun Club. It is very impressive to say the least. To me, this chart takes dry firing a shotgun, to a higher level.

I’ve seen the laser things you stick in the barrels and heard about the $900 computer simulators but I’ve never looked into either of them.

For me it all boils down to next spring when by then, I’ll be 77. I do believe that I can be ready for next spring if I spend some time dry firing.

My plan is to dry fire 25 shots spread over about 30 minutes at least three times a week. In between shots I’ll rest my 870 on my Gun Buddy. I'll have a picture of my targets in a day or two.

Here is one more parting shot. Whither or not you are dry firing at a spot on the wall or on one of Terry’s Wall Charts and when you pull the trigger just as your barrel is clearing the spot, it’s a hit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.