1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dry Firing Damage?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve W, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The only manufactory stated it's ok to dry fire their guns is Ruger. However, I dry fire my guns all the time.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Kolar can also be dry fired. Bill Malcolm

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If you are going to do that much dry firing I suggest using snap caps. Better safe than sorry. Not a gunsmith, just 50 times a day seems like a lot to me.

Jason

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

The kind of dry firing damage you need to be most watchful for is the kind resulting from those certain type of snap caps that go off and blow a hole in the wall.

Word from your Uncle Larry.

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

you must have not heard that snap caps are one the most dangerous pieces of trapshooting equipment that you can possess, I would really think of the safety of others around you......in fact, I may not shoot on the same line as another shooter using them.

tony

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

It is also ok to dry fire an Infinity. Dennis states don't use a snap cap.

Phil Berkowitz

7. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

For a center fire firearm, ( not a .22, that's a rimfire )the firing pin rides in the firing pin hole. Hammer strikes firing pin. Firing pin compresses firing pin spring. Firing pin proceedes forward into EMPTY CHAMBER. No damage done. Dry firing is an accepted practice procedure. The next time one of the dopes at Gander Mountain says " no dry firing, you will break it ", Ask him why.

8. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Kenent1, I have 2 snap caps in my Kolar gun case and at the end of the day when I am done shooting I break my gun down (before putting it in the case for it's ride home). Also before I put it in the case I use the snap caps. After I release the tension off the springs I take the snap caps out and put them away along with the the gun parts. Now for the idiotic remark about not shooting on the same line as someone who uses snap caps. I would hope you wouldn't because I would not want to shoot on the same line as someone as dumb as you. You tell me one way the way I use snap caps would detour you from shooting with them because there unsafe not to mention an idiot remark from an idiot.

9. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

How can you break the bird with the snapcap in? Must be very dangerous!!!!!!!!!! Watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. samiam03

samiam03 Member

So the gunsmith in Chambersburg Pa. who yelled at me 42 years ago for dry firing a Parker SxS was wrong?

Sam

11. rick979

rick979 Active Member

The owner's manual that came with my Ljutic emphasizes NOT dry-firing the gun without the use of a snap cap. Rick ~~~Texas

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

KENENT1 - I have no problem with somebody that wants to snap cap at home. Just don't do it at the gun club.

13. clb

clb TS Member

Sam,

Yup, he was wrong. Parker in their literature stated no damage from dry firing would happen. The firing pin was integral with the hammer.

14. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

You can dry-fire a Remington 3200 as they have rebounding hammers much the same as Ruger Red Label.

If you dry fire a Ljutic on an empty chamber you will bend the pins that go through the hammer which will give you a inconsistant lock time. This advise comes from Denny (now deceased) the long time gunsmith at Ljutic.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

mrskeet410- If you don't want me to dry fire my gun before I take it down and put it in the case, how am I supposed to relieve the pressure on the springs? It can be several days before I get home.

I do not use snap caps, but I relieve the spring pressure before I take my K-80 apart.

Pat Ireland

16. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Pat, You can always have 2 empty shells in your gun case, fire on the empties and when breaking the gun down remove them.

17. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

threedeuces.......my post was meant to poke fun at the people that preach doom and gloom at anything other people do that they don't agree with....I thought it was worded so the average person would know it was in fun.

I would think a squad of shooters snapping snapcaps would be one of the safest squads a person could be around, also one of the lowest scoring...

I personally use snapcaps every time I put my Beretta away....but thanks for pointing out that I am an idiot..I might have went through the whole day not knowing this.

I really do feel like an idiot explaining this to you.....but lets not argue, they might not be able to tell us apart.

I hope this helps.

tony

18. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

<i>"How can you break the bird with the snapcap in? Must be very dangerous!!!!!!!!!! Watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!"</i>

exactly!!!!

tony

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

OHHHHHH......... Looks like the long winter has started already and we aren't even through fall. Jeff

20. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

There are some guns that will break when dry fired.
    BT-100 is one that will as I did it in one of my clinics.

My Kgun (and all Kguns) is fine to dry fire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dry fire a kolar