1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dry Fire Practice System

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RedScare, Aug 16, 2013.

1. RedScare

RedScare Member

Just got back from the grand and I saw the demo on the Dry Fire video shooting system. I want to hear from more practical shooters and not a salesman.

Who owns one?

How does the Dry Fire avg compare to your ATA avg?

Do you feel the system is worth the money/did your scores improve?

How does it translate to doubles without recoil?

I want to hear all you guys got on this system Im really on the fence about buying one. I want to hear all the bad stuff.

Thanks

2. himark

himark Well-Known Member

"How does the Dry Fire avg compare to your real avg?"

Good question.

3. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

I had one for a while. I guarantee you can shoot dots on the wall with no noise and no recoil much better than the real thing. I shot very great scores at dots on the wall but, unfortunately, it didn't spill over to the real thing. If anything, it hurt my real scores. It's a fun toy for something to do on a rainy day, but in no way is it serious practice. Save your money and shoot the real thing.

Just MHO of course, your milage may very.

Tomas

4. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I've owned mine for two years - bought at the 2010 Grand.

My REAL scores are generally equal or above those I get while practicing with my DryFire. It was worth the money for me. I think I paid for it with ammo and target savings (and gasoline) in a few months. I average a case of shells per week when the weather is good.

I have been particularly pleased with my increased speed. The system helped me get it down to around 0.8 seconds. I see a major difference in real life - target smoke more easily when they're hit quicker (closer, more compact shot cloud) and more centered.

I don't shoot doubles.

Sorry, I don't have and BAD stuff to share.

NOTE: I'm 66 years old, started shooting trap in 2009 - not much of anything before that - and I often break 25 straights, and a few 50s. 75 still eludes me, but I'm still working on it. WHen I'm not overly tired, my average is above 90.

I LIKE DryFire and I wouldn't sell it.

5. buster's mom

buster's mom Member

Great system especially for new shooters. In our case, our youngest started using it in March, and by May, she was shooting in the 80's. By slowing down the speed at first, it teaches a nice smooth swing to the targets, and centering your breaks. She has used it for doubles, and is coming right along. Great Product, and Great Service in the event you have any questions or problems. No Complaints here.

6. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

I have had mine 3 years now. I posted on another thread that it has not helped my doubles scores. I think the lack of recoil is a problem with using it for doubles. It is a great product for single though. I have the dual head system and I have the squad software with 6 gun mounts. I do let an SCTP team use it when it is too hot out for range time.
    I have 2 backgrounds 1 in the garage for winter use and 1 in a spare bedroom for summer use. I have found that using it twice a week is about what is needed to see any improvement.

7. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Would you guys recommend this for drills and such for an hour or two daily? Or would it teach unwanted habits?

8. Avatar

How does it stand up to the Terry chart as a training aid?

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've had two systems #1 & 2. What they will do for you is make you very fast and smooth with your swing, and improve your timing. You will see the target faster and get on them very quickly. In the game of trap the farther you get back, speed and smoothness along with timing is what you need. They have to be used in conjunction with real shooting because of the lack of recoil. I would recommend 50/50. But, then on a rainy or very cold day they work great. I always shot at least 200 shots a session. They also improve your endurance. The best training tool around.

10. ansvel

ansvel Member

Dry Fire sounds like a rubber woman, bacically you can do your needs but...

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Ansvet,

Do you have to cuddle afterwards?

Birdogs

12. RedScare

RedScare Member

Ansvel and birdogs are a couple of assclowns.

Do you guys think this system can help a AA shooter during the winter ?? I dont shoot during the winter too cold.

13. shot410ga

Red, Did you read my Post? It should answer your question. I never used the system for the 16 only handicap. It seemed like a waste of time on the 16, and I am a "A" shooter.

14. RedScare

RedScare Member

Shot410 how does the dry fire avg compare with your hdcp avg?

15. shot410ga

You can make the DryFire so difficult you would be hard pressed to hit any targets. It is completely programmable for speed, wind, and angles. I always made the device throw wider angles and higher speeds with variable winds in all kind of directions, when I was using it. You can also make it so easy you will never miss, and get nothing out of the practice. It's up to you and your computer. That's the great thing about using the machine.

16. himark

himark Well-Known Member

OK, so assuming you set the speed to exactly 42 and have a calm day from the 27 yard line how does it compare to your real scores? not this or that can make it hard. I want to hear what makes it real, and those settings should be as they are in real life.

BTW, a 1000 dollar rubber doll may be a step up for those other guys. :)

17. shot410ga

It's as real as you'll get for an indoor practice system. NO RECOIL is the main issue against the system. As I said, the system helps your endurance, speed, and follow through. But you only get the recoil from the real thing. But, it's certainly is not going to hurt you practicing on cold rainy days indoors. And you can always sell the device for maybe 80% of your cost.

Search tags for this page
dry fire practice drills trap game

dry fire practice for trap shooting

dryfire shoting system
trap shooting video dry fire