1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

dry fire crossbow?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mikeinmich, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

Pretty sure I watched an outdoor show on TV a few weeks ago where they intentionally dry fired an Excalibur crossbow. Or at least uncocked it without firing a bolt. Anyone else see this?

2. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

I'd say that it's a poor idea.....

3. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

probably to demonstrate its strength,but i wouldnt do it with any bow,if the string breaks it makes a helluva loud noise,and some thing may break.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Wouldn't want to be around when it blew up, and you catch a limb or part of the string in your face.

5. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

It is a commercial to show the strength of their recurve prod crossbow to shed a dark light on compound crossbows - stating theirs will hold up and compound type will blow up. As an archery pro shop - dealer, I find very little truth in advertising especially about speed. Bill Hom

6. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

Right on Bill..........I saw the commercial again today. I was with a guy a couple weeks ago who was shooting an Excalibur and his string whipped off when he tried to fire a bolt!! Maybe they're safer to dryfire...........

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bill Hom--I have found that in order to achieve anything close to the advertised IBO speed ratings of most all of todays bows, it requires an arrow of such light grain that your are virtually dry firing it. My buddy owns an archery shop and we tinkered with this a few evenings just see how close we could come. Only a few were we able to actually reach advertised speeds and the bows became very noisy shooting the poundage and arrow weight required to do so.

8. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

grntitan, no matter how light the arrow you are still transfering the stored energy from the limbs to the arrow. If it shoots via the string method I would never dry fire. Scards of carbon fiber or what ever material the limbs are made of can really mame or kill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dryfire recurve crossbow