1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

dry eyes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coho, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coho

coho Member

My left contact dries out when I’m shooting and it causes my right (weak ) eye to take over and I miss birds. I use drops but is seems that the more I use the worse it gets. Do any of you shoot with contacts and how do you deal with dry eyes? One guy said he shoots with ski goggles when his eyes get dry, have any of you tried this?

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I started wearing contacts again, 10 years after having lasik. Before and now, I am not troubled that much, because I buy the most poreus lens on the market. One thing you might try is to make sure you wear a hat and blinders on your shooting glasses. I make my own blinders which are square along the top and I can form a seal between my hat and the blinders. I also have the blinders project about one inch beyond the lens. I have found this keeps wind and dust out of my eyes on windy days.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What kind of lenses?

4. Barry C. Roach

I meant coho.

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

6. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

Coho -
    I have been wearing contacts since the late 70s so I do have some experience at this. My eye Doc gave 2 tips to try as I get older & eyes dry out.
    1st - Every few days use Baby Shampoo & literally scrub the edges of your eyelids w/ your finger. Shampoo is gentle & will not sting your eyes yet will loosen oil & dirt that will clog your tear ducts & prevent tear flow.
    2nd - Use an eye drop product called Systane when inserting my contacts. This stuff is great! It feels like an oil. If my eyes dry out during the day add a drop directly on the contact. That has only happened once since I started using it. JME - John in Iowa

7. Barry C. Roach

No need to be sorry, Rick. Doesn't sound like coho wants to respond anyway. I,ve had the best luck with Accuvue Oasys lenses. I have a bit of stigmatism but they work great for me. I used to have lots of problems with other types drying out. No problems with these. I do use rewetting drops through the day to maintain their moisture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.