1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DRXL-1 + WIN AA hulls = me going crazy!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SL900LOADER, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

(im loading Win AA hulls)
    I found this info on shotgunworld, thank you billkny who ever you are!
    as a semi-knowledgeable reloader(i thought) i bought a case of DRXL-1 at the grand,
    i was reloading on my hornady apex, these wads seemed to work normally.

Then (as my trapshooters.com name) i bought a nice new Dillon SL900,
    I was loading 1 1/8 wads, getting used to the machine, Then i started using the DRXL-1's, i could NOT for the life of me get the wads to seat the same way each time, i tryed it all and then some, thinking the Dillion was at fault because it drops the shot load (when pushing on the wad)
    It had to be the Dillon, after all the apex loaded them fine right?

After dealing with a machine i was not very impressed with, i bought some green dusters, I loaded 675 hulls in NO TIME!, this machine was working like a dream, fast and faster!, so i did not use the DRXL-craps after this, but never really understanding what was the problem.

Tonight i came across this thread, It slapped my face, OH HOW DID I MISS THIS!
    The DAMNED DRXL-crud's dont have a slot on the powder cup to let out air!
    thats why i would get 17 different heights on wad depth! AIR PRESSURE PUSHING THEM BACK UP! Oh i want to punch them! Idiots! I pulled out my blue dusters (and all other wads i own) there it is, a small air vent! Oh im so happy and mad.

I hope this helps out someone else having a hard time with DRXL-duds!
    sl900loader_2010_06127.jpg

sl900loader_2010_06128.jpg

2. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I've used this combination in a Mec 9000H loader for years and can honestly say that I've not experienced this problem. I've loaded tens of thousands of these loads and like them better than others I've tried. Shoot Straight...Odie

3. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Yeah me too on my horady apex, thats what got me, But after finding this difference in how the two machines handled that wad, i wanted to share this little hidden gem of a no air vent so-in-so.

4. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

+1 I got tired of "pushing" the wad back down into the hull with my finger. Best to use that wad in Rem hull only and find something else for AA (like the green Duster or pink DR mentioned in the article).

5. rugershoot

rugershoot Member

I've used the green wad in AA hulls since their inception, loading on a PW 800, no problems what so ever.

6. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Had the same problem...did the machine adjustments etc.....What a PITA. I really like the XL-1's. I changed to Remington hulls and never looked back. For me they load much nicer. Thanks for the reminder!

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

SL900loader. Great thread.

8. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I have used the combo too with no problems. I use an Automate and only old style AA hulls.

Tim

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

OEM or CBs & your problems vanish---MAGIC. Ross Puls

10. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Gosh, I've loaded with this wad (not a lot, maybe a thousand or so) on both my Dillon and my
    Spolar and never had any problems.

I pretty much stay with the WAA-12 clones and 1 1/8 ounces now so maybe they've changed the was since I used them.

Bob

11. pulllit

pulllit Member

I am using a hydraulic Spolar and a DRXL-1 wad in the AAHS hull will cause the trapped air wad pop up mess. I switched to the STS hull and no more wad pop up.

The only way I can load AAHS hulls is to use wads with vents. Claybuster’s pink CB1100-12 has a lead in taper plus the vents.

12. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

had hte same problem this past weekend, thanks for the information, I was about to throw out all the AA hulls!

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I don't think it is air pressure pushing the wad up. The AA hull is tapered. The wad is pushed into the taper and springs back up to relieve the pressure. I use the purple 1oz wad and see this often. It isn't a problem, ignore it. The crimp starter die pushes the wad into position for the final crimp.

14. wlc

wlc Member

It is caused by compressed air and it is a real problem. I called DR about it when I tried to use the combination of AAHS hull and XL-1 wad. They did confirm that some people were having a problem and suggested a different wad. Letting the crimp push it back down works but sometimes shot spills first.

15. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Thank you guys for your comments, i knew this had to help someone else out. (it made me a better reloader)

Johnny, "It isn't a problem, ignore it." it's hard to ignore having to stop, remove everthing, clean the machine, clean the work bench, and so on.

The dillion is not forgiving when shot is spilled, my hornady is.

Im an auto mechanic, and i will tell you the SL900, has it's good points and bad, when things are good, there real good, when there bad, there real bad.

I was to the point i regreted buying the dillion, now im glad i made it through the learning curve and i love this machine.

16. revbook

revbook Member

Never heard that before....thanks for the post.

Don in PA

17. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

What I don't understand if one machine loads them fine and another does not, then how is it the wad's lack of venting the problem? Wouldn't you think this would be the case regardless of what reloader you use?

Bryan

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

SL900LOADER , I a few pellets spill occasionally but nothing that slows me down. I use a PW and there is a channel under the center of the shells for spilled shot and powder with holes for it to drop through. The DR purple wad I use has eight petals, the green has 4, the only difference, I think. These wads have a pretty stiff powder cup so I am assuming it is springing back up. Even if it is air pressure the results are the same. Nothing you can do but switch wads.

19. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Calkidd, the hornady rams that wad into postion no matter what, the dillion drops it's shot when the wad pushes up un the shot dispenser Assembly, two totaly differnt machines, and the dillion shot drop tube is smaller.

Johnny, the problem with loose shot in the dillion is it will jamb the hull Automatic Casefeeder so hulls wont slide into the shell plate fully,

And yes i know sometimes the DRXL-1 catches on the lip of the hulls powder cup, but it is holding air and rising back up(sometimes very high), down range even talks about this problem.

But im not too happy with a company that has a known problem and still recommends these for AA hulls without mentioning it.

Blue/green dusters and claybusters work very well in the dillion.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

DRXL-1s work great in my old AAs, not so good in the new "improved AA" though. Sure, you can cram them in but that's not the way I like my re-loads I compete with. Off sounds? Yup, wad bases is tilted and allows the chamber pressures slip by. After that experience, I quit using the new AAs but if I had to again, I'd switch wads to one tapered for that case. One off sounding load is one too many to suit me!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aa hull drxl 1

drxl wads

drxl-1 wad

drxl1