1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drug testing for food stamps and unemployment..

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by likes-to-shoot, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Iowa legislature introduced a bill today to require random drug testing for those who are drawing unemployment or food stamps. Of course the Democrats have already stated its unfair to some recipients.

Hope it passes.

Bill

2. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Unfair? Of course it is...if you have been on welfare or chronically unemployed your entire life. More of same from the people who brought you Obama!!

Brownk80

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

It is UNFAIR,,,,,,,,to the drug users on the taxpayers dole.....

4. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Great idea and I fully support it but Florida has already tried it and been overruled by a federal judge.

Trouble is I had to be drug tested to make the money to pay the deadbeats, but they don't have to drug test to lay on their a$$ and collect it.

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

One of the sponsors of the bill was on TV and he made the statement that people who work are subject to random drug tests and it would only be fair if the unemployment and food stamp recipients were required to take the same tests.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Where I worked most of my life you were subject to a drug and or alcohol test at the companies discretion, and if you refused you were fired. We had a medical dispensary at the plant with a full time doctor on day shift and the 2 other shifts there was a registered nurse. At one time I worked with 4,200 people and the company sent many employees away for rehab.

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

No kidding!!!

If people who HAVE to work and KEEP their jobs and are "required" to summit to random drug testing, its only RIGHT that the people who sign up for food stamp,welfare and unemployment be randomly checked also!

And those that issue out food stamps,welfare, and unemployment checks, NEED to be randomly checked also!

Some of the one's I've had to deal with were obviously on some or coming down off of some!!

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Thumbs up on this one.

9. cnsane

cnsane Member

Wait till they decide weekly or monthly testing is a requirement for fire-arms ownership, cuz it says right on the purchase form "Are you a user/addict". Then you'll hear a wailing of teeth and a gnashing of hands from the 'it's about time' crowd. Prescription pain killers- no gun for you. Anti-depressants--no gun for you. Et al... and careful what you wish for.

10. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

@cnsane,,,, completely different issue. i support drug testing for handout recipients.....period.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I Googled Florida's Welfare drug testing and under "Florida's welfare drug testing halted by Federal Judge-Florida" It came up.

In the news there it said there is a temporary injunction on the testing because it violates the constitutions 4th amendment ban on illegal search and seizure. There was a guy who was told to take a drug test and pay for it. He said there was no reason for them to think I was on drugs so there for no reason for me to take a test.

Well if that is the way its going to be the same can be said for us hard working people in the work force. If he can sue then so can we. He can refuse a drug test then so can we. To me in other words its double standards. We have to take the test or be fired. They can refuse the test and keep getting their free checks. Not right at all.

12. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

As long as we keep the same nitwits in the Senate and congress, this will never happen.

Also, on the Fla. law, there was a clause that say you can not pass but your wife can, then she can get the stuff for you. Hell of a political move for press converage but no teeth in the law.

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

This all sounds good and great, but you have to think about the whole picture. If you stop the payments, due to a failed test of the addicted recipients, who is going to be affected. If they have kids, your money is still going to take care of them. More than likely costing twice, if not more, as much. The addicted are now going to get desperate. They are now going to rob and possible murder for funds, or the drugs. Without rehab, there really are not any options. There would have to be mandated rehab programs to be attended to receive funds. Again, adding much more to the cost. Getting the picture yet? This would create total disfunction of the system where it actually may affect you personally. Now we as fortunate and rather pompous individuals can look at it from the "I don't give a Sh%$ about these people" point of view, but in the long run it will cost you more. So, be careful what you wish for.

As far as drug testing in the workforce. I think it is a great idea. I also think it should be for every person in the company, from the CEO on down. Was not long ago when cocaine was the drug of the affluent neigborhoods around here. Fact is, there are alcoholics and drug addicts everywhere, and in all realms of society. The big difference is who pays for it, and who can afford rehab, if they chose. Jon

14. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Jon, you are right, it is cheaper in the long run to just dole out the welfare money and keep the losers off the streets.

15. straightsixes

straightsixes TS Member

I disagree after watching more than my share of acquaintances who have learned to abuse the system.

The guys I know... couldn't care less about their kids. The kids don't get much of the food stamps/unemployment anyway. That is used to trade for drugs, sex, toys etc.

Our schools are already giving away breakfast and lunch to lots of kids and are contemplating dinner. No joke. We are double paying for these kids to eat already.

I admit to not wanting to see kids get punished BUT at what point does our society make people responsible for their actions? There is a line between truly needy and those who have learned that it can pay to be lazy. At least the ones that I know who are working the system... have their drug issues. Actually its scary now that I am thinking about it as its a pretty good indicator. Hmmmmm...

My grandparents picked crops across the country to escape the dustbowl. They worked their butts of their entire lives paying into the gov't system... so that their/our money can be given back to people sitting at home collecting "disibility"/food stamps/welfare, playing video games, eating Lucky Charms, fantasizing about $ex and "enjoying" their meth habit.

16. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

A test for federal judges to see if they are mentally fit to make decisions might be the first step to taking back this country.

17. ctreay

ctreay Member

The first thing that needs to happen is to kick the "PC" mindset out the door and start using commonsence.

ctreay

18. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I will file for unemployment compensation for the first time in my life after working 45 years. If georgia wants me to pee in a cup to be able to collect, they can kiss my rear end!

blade819

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The welfare peopl who have kids are not going to use the money on their kids becasue they are going to go and buy drugs.

If those same people are taken off the welfare system whats the diff? The kids are still in the same place. The only diff is the junky doesn't have the money to buy drugs.

If WE the hard working people of this country have to take a drug test so should the welfare people. If the welfare people don't have to take a drug test so shouldn't the HARD WORKING people. As it stands now there is a double standard. Not right and not fair.

When R Ragan was Gov of Ca he put in to law that if you had to get on welfare you did so for only 6 months. In that time you had better get your life straight because you wouldn't be permitted back on. I think that should be done all over the country.

20. 87AA

87AA TS Member

If blade819 ain't gonna do it then neither am I.

Also I'm a HARD WORKING person who doesn't have to submit to drug test in order to keep my job. So why should I have to do it in order to get benefits?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.