1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drug Test at Va Physical

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

At my VA physical earlier this week, I was asked if my military experiences were causing me to have nightmares. I do not remember the last time I had a nightmare. (Ah, my second marriage LOL)

I was looking over the good Doctor's shoulder and noticed he was typing in a scheduled urinalysis. I did not think much about it, until I saw him checking "Cocaine Alkaloids", "Cannabinoids", and "Opiates", among other things.

I am not into drugs, but it was obvious I was being scheduled for a drug test.

This does not bother me, but my question is;

Are other folks on this forum under VA care being drug tested?

The obvious thing on my mind is, if I were to say that the "rigors of military service" still caused me to have nightmares, or if I tested Positive for Illegal Drugs, where would that info go, and would the BATFE get the info and classify me as a Prohibited Person?

Apparently, the drug test was mandatory for me to stay under VA care. I gave the sample without comment. Others might have reason to refuse.

It seemed this was shooting related.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Something wrong there, if you were not informed. It weems like you knew you were giving a urine sample but had not been told it was for drug testing.

It wouldn't bother me but sometimes this can be viewed as an invasion of privacy.

HM

3. M-16

M-16 TS Member

I can see both sides the gov wanting to really know what the drug staus is with our vets, and the gov miss using the info to hurt them. My vote is hell no

4. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

I've been urine tested many times at the VA but never knew or asked what they were checking. I really don't care as I have nothing to hide and it's a routine once a year check the VA requires. I have also been urine tested for the DOT in relation to my previous job. There is a world of difference between the DOT test and my experience at the VA. Jimmy Borum

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I was told I was to give a urine sample, but was not told why. I assumed PSA's, but when I noticed the items tested, I made no comment. VA health care is a good program. It is not like I get stoned! As a diabetic, I do not drink, either. My lifestyle and personal habits are disgustingly wholesome. LOL

I am not complaining, it might be a good idea if everyone in a Federal Program, on assistance, or a Federal employee was tested. Especially the latter. Politicians NOT exempted!

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting Coach- In our current culture, I would think a routine urine test would include testing for high sugar levels, drugs and pregnancy.

Pat Ireland

7. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Kidney function is also tested by both urine and blood test. Jimmy Borum

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I am the primary care-giver for my father, who is listed as 80% disabled from serious WWII wounds. Even though he worked for 40 years in the union construction trades, and has very good retirement insurance, he prefers to get his care from the VA. On one recent brief hospitalization, a VA representative came in a gave us a lecture on just what the VA would and could do for him.

Included in that long list was terminating his treatment, should he create a problem, or refuse any test that was ordered by his doctors. Additionally, about 4 or 5 years ago the VA started billing his private insurance and Medicare for portions of his care. These billings get bigger every year.

Kip

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I think drug testing should be mandatory for everyone,-------------- applying for welfare.

Gne J

10. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

R. Kipling - I think you are mistaken about billing Medicare. Private insurance, yes and why not. Unless it has changed recently, the VA and Medicare can't bill each other. I not sure about a Medicare supplement. I just got mine. Jimmy Borum

11. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

If they are testing drugs I am particularly fond of the blue ones. And would be more than happy to evaluate them.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They should drug test anyone who is getting public assistance and take them off of it if they fail the test ... The amount of money that could be saved would be staggering ... I see people who are getting food stamps, and aid but they still have their cell phones, whats up with that ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I am sure the tests were for illegal drugs. I guess that's big brother watching you isn't it? I also think that those on assistance should be drug tested. That's just my thoughts on the subject. I know that in my work I am tested every time I go out for a big job, or if there is an accident on the job or if someone is injured off the job and come in to work with restrictions they are tested. We are also subject to random tests at any time. I think that any government or state employee or county or city employee should have to pass drug tests or go thru rehab. I know at work if they test for drugs and find it you have to go thru rehab. If they test for alcohol and it's present you are fired that's the old saying "with dope there's hope and with booze you loose." I guess we don't have the privacy that we used to have before there was a chance of illegal drugs being involved in our systems. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does a physical test for drugs for va phsical

does va drug test physical

va physical drug test