1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drove through Kentucky

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I got invited to a weekend getaway, to Barkley Lake Lodge this past weekend and I accepted. Left home early Saturday and headed south. Crossed the great river at Eville and headed south of the Mason/Dixon line. Got on the Pennyrile Parkway and Wow! What a mess. The road was clear, but the trees along the side of the road!!! That ice storm ripped em a good one. We got hit in Indiana. I was without power for a week, but damn we had hardly any damage compared to Kentucky.

Seemed like the damage really started getting bad just north of Madisonville, and it continued. We drove to Hoptown then headed west toward Barkley. It was bad everywhere, hundreds of telephone poles snapped in half. Lodge had power but was still without cable, and phone.

Left lodge next morning and headed west to Kentucky Lake, then north and decided to take Western Kentucky Parkway back. It was a real mess.

If you want to see massive tree damage just take a ride through the bluegrass state. Not a pleasant thing to see but it is something to look at.

That storm did more massive widespread damage to Kentucky than Sherman's march to the sea did to Georgia.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I plan on moving to that area. It is ( was ) beautiful

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Doubleauto, I've only been through Cairo a couple of times. It was like turning the clock back 75 years. Know what you mean when you talk about that town. Last time I went through a hotel/motel had on it's marquis that it had - hot water, and color tv!! Wow! Got to wondering what Tv they had? Wonder if they had free NBC,ABC,CBS? Free broadcast Tv?

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Cairo's the town downhill from a huge, beautiful bridge over a river, right? I often stop and drive through because it's such a trip back through time. Sorry to hear it's fallen on hard times.

Neil

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Western KY really got hammered. All my relatives have power back but they will be busy with a chain saw for awhile. MANY, MANY trees don't have tops left in them. Lines are still down everywhere and some people still are without power after 3 weeks! Some of the houses had the service boxes ripped out by the collapsing lines. My brother and step mother said it looks like it was BOMBED! The weight of the ice crushed many out buildings green houses etc. and took down several main support towers that were pulled down due to the weight. It wil be a long time before it's all back to normal. On a tragic note, a lineman from the midwest was killed there helping the local power companies. A pole fell of him. Our prayers go out to his family.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I love Lake Barkely and Kentucky Lake. If you move there come up and shoot with us in Southern Illinois.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

Cuban Cigar---It is still beautiful here in Cadiz,Ky. Just re-arrainged a little.

Bisi- I live on Barkley Lake just a couple of miles from the Lodge.

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Shadow, you're a lucky guy.

I noticed a trap house at the Barkley lodge. Was wondering if it ever got used? Wonder what they charge for a round?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.