1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drought and crops

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by RickN, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

What are the crops like in your area?

The grain markets are going crazy again today. In my area we've had plenty of rain so our crops look good, but it must not be that way all over. Do any of you have pictures you could post or email me?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Our early planted corn this year is toast. We have all but counted it out. Our later planting is just barely hanging on. We have managed to get just enough rain to keep the later planting hanging on. If we don't get some rain and temperature relief real soon though, it will be too little too late. Not gonna be a lot of happy faces on our farm come harvest.

3. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Saw 6 foot high corn today driving to work in Berks Co, PA.

4. grntitan

Tall corn does not mean healthy corn.

Just Say'n........

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It's been dry up north this year we were lucky and got timely rains, but my buddy up in N Missouri said the crops are toast, and I think a lot of Iowa is dry too

Man the prices have gone crazy beans almost $15, corn almost $7, and wheat pushing $8.50

The years were were raising wheat we were lucky to get $2, maybe $2.50

I would get back in to cattle but it would just ruin the market for every one else, seems what ever we raise, the price tanks

6. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

The corn by our gun club was 6' tall the 1st of June , tassled 3 weeks ago and now, since no rain and another 104 degree day is as brown as it gets at harvest time. Hope the farmer had crop insurance!!!

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I away from home for the next couple of days, so no pic's available. It's so dry my corn is 4' tall, trying to tassel, and is twisted up like cane. I haven't had any measurable rainfall for 5 weeks now. If I don't get rain soon, I'm not sure the harvest will cover the fuel bill on the combine. My ground is on the halves so I'll have to discuss with him what we're going to do. Had a few acres of wheat that did well, but didn't bother to plant any beans because it was so dry. That may be the only good decision that was made this year.

I knew this spring was too good to be true, and turns out it was.

On a good note. My neighbor is going to make out like a bandit. He's setting on 50,000 bushels of corn because of a cancelled contract for spring delivery. He is in excellant shape finacially anyway so it didn't bother him a bit when the deal went south. Now he'll make double what he would have made and not cost him an extra dime.

ss

8. John55

John55 Active Member

We finished planting on May 16, have had one rain since that time, and it was a paltry 1/2". That came 3 weeks ago this past Monday and I'm fairly safe in saying there won't be any corn in my county that makes over 50bpa, most will not be harvested at all. Beans still have a chance to do something, but times running out on them too.

9. grntitan

John,

We can always just shoot our sorrows away next month. What better way to deal with a crummy year of crops then to blow a bunch of money at the Grand.

P.S. I thought you guys were getting all the rain up North.

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I own a couple of small plots of land that I rent to a couple of different farmers. Both of em are diasters this year. One is planted in corn the other in beans. The corn is tassling but the ears aren't filling out. The beans are 6" high, the same they were a month ago.

I'm in S. Indiana and we've had 3/4 inch of rain in the last 5 to 6 weeks. The temp has been over a 100 every day for the last week and a half.

Blame it on me, I guess. I decided this year to become a part time/hobby vegetable farmer. I kept a couple of acres this year for myself so I would have something to sell at the local farmers market. I'm not going to have anything to sell. Everything has gone to hell. Wilted and dried up. The only thing that did well was my red potatoes, and I didn't plant many. I planted just enough to sell to people whom wanted a few red potatoes with the green beans I was going to sell. No green beans though.

Last year I picked 60 gallons of blackberries out of the patch in the backyard. This year I got 11 gallons, and they were loaded in the spring. I was expecting a bumper crop and they all just dried up.

I lost money on my first and probably last year of vegetable farming. I should of just got a part time job at McDonalds.

If the rest of the country is like it is around here food prices are going skyrocket.

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

When was the epa supposed to put in 15% ethanol??? Get ready for groceries to spike......

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Our corn is about 4' high and tasseling. We've had 2/10's since May 15th. 3 weeks in the 90's (104 today). Some rain has gone North and South of us. We've just been unlucky, but we didn't get the big wind storm last week.

I'm waiting for the popcorn to start popping.

Planted sunflowers in my dove field May 15th. The plants are 6 inches tall.

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Bisi, we did the same thing, we planted a little over an acre of sweet corn figured we would sell some around the 4th, we can irrigate it, usually sweetcorn around here sells for about 40-50 cent an ear around the 4th, this year all the stores were selling it as a leader for 15 cents an ear

Just my luck, we had a bumper crop that wasn't worth much, if I really put a pencil to it, it costs more than 15 cents to grow an ear, the hybrid seed we used was about a penny a seed then the fertilizer, labor etc

But we froze about 1500 ears, both on the cob and cut off the cob, bought a vacuum sealer man that thing really works slick

And not one store had briskets on sale, but we cleaned up on some real tasty rib eyes for $5 a pound

14. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Crops look pretty good here in Eastern Washington but are a full month later than normal.Jerry

15. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

South half Wisconsin is toast,dryest June ON RECORD !!over 100 degrees
    today,havent heard a lawn mower in 5 weeks.............

16. John55

John55 Active Member

Matt,
    That sounds like a great idea and it's just what I plan on doing! Rain in our entire area has been non-existent the past 7 weeks or so, just as it's been down around Sparta. I really don't think anyone south of I-70 has much to be happy about this year.

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

We've been doing pretty well up in southern Alberta too. Plenty of rain and now some hot weather to help it grow and so hay can be put up. I've never seen Canola crops like this around here before and the winter wheat looks great too. Corn's been a bit slow to get rolling as it's been cool.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Crops in Idaho look great but all farms are irrigated

19. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Southeastern Indiana is very dry except for some very isolated rainfall. Majority of the crops were planted right around Mother's day and approximately 2 weeks after that. So far the corn and beans hanging in there but this constant above 90 degree heat and lack of rain is taking its toll. Most of the corn should be tasseling in about 2 weeks. A few fields of earlier planted corn are in the pollination stage right now and I don't expect that corn to yield much over 50 bu. per acre if that. I have heard that farmers in the Washington and Bedford area of Indiana are chopping their corn crop already as it is basically a total loss.

If the majority of the corn belt is experiencing this type of weather, it will be interesting to see the price of corn in January 2013.

John

20. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I'll probably get blown up for this - but here goes. I was talking to a farmer the other day in central Indiana. He said if he didn't get two inches of rain in the next 10 days the corn wouldn't pollinate and he wouldn't have a corn crop this year. As he was whining I asked if he had crop insurance and he replied he did. I then asked him to explain how that worked and what it cost. He stated it was based on average yield and the market . . . and then said his actual cost of the insurance was only 50% of the total "premium." When I asked why he said "the government pays for the other half." I said "You mean I'm helping pay for your crop insurance since it's my tax dollars that go to the government ?" He got kind of quiet at that point. I then said "And if you don't have a crop to harvest you also save all the fuel costs and wear and tear on your equipment in the fall ?" At the end of this sentence he acted like he no longer wanted to attempt to gain any more sympathy from me for our local drought. When I then told him my well pump just quit and it cost $2,400 to replace it he didn't seem to be listening anymore ! I was hoping he would be willing to pay for half ! OBTW, this is the guy who also shoots a $30,000 K-gun and new shells (throws the STS hulls on the ground ) and drives a new Ford Super Duty to all the shoots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.