1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drops on 870s and 1100s

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WS-1, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Can the drop at the heel be reduced from 2 1/4" to about 1 3/4" on a 870 Skeet or an 1100 Skeet gun? If yes, how?

Kit

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Remove the stock halfway. Set the gun on a table upside down. With one hand
    push down on the forend. With the other hand push down on the stock until
    the spring tube bends. Put a small piece of wood between the receiver and
    the metal stock plate so when you put the stock back on, the tube doesn't
    bend back. Tighten the stock nut and washers. Put the pad back on. You may have
    to do this a few times to get the exact drop you want.

When you have the stock just the way you want it, remove the stock and file or sand an angle into the neck of the stock and inlet the the edge to mate with
    the receiver at the new angle you have created. Done.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that you will also raise your drop @ comb doing it that way, and if you go overboard (I would think you'd need quite a bit of bend to raise the heel 1/2") and snap the tube off, it will not be cheap to fix. That would also not work on an 870.

4. shrek

shrek Active Member

You could also look into adding an adjustable comb probably with an aftermarket comb piece to make it fit how you want. There would be less risk of breaking something with this process than with bending stuff that is not intended to be bent.

5. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Dickgtax and Skeet_Man,

Thank you for your answers. I have never gotten into Remingtons before and I'm trying to learn. On the 1100, what does the Action Spring Tube screw into? Is it attached directly to the receiver or does it screw into something else that is attached to the receiver? I can see how you would bend that tube and then re-inlet the tenon at the neck. That makes sense. Is there an easy way that the receiver can be re-machined or rethreaded to receive the Action Spring Tube at a slightly different angle?

On the 870, does the Receiver Stud screw directly into the receiver or does it screw into something else that screws into the receiver like a cross pin or something? If the Receiver Stud screws directly into the receiver and there is no adjustability, could the threaded hole be plugged and re-tapped to receive the Stud at a slightly more upright angle?

Thanks!

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

The 1100 action spring tube is welded to the reciever. I bent mine to make my gun shoot higher and it did work but after several bendings....it broke off and I had Pat Laib weld it back on. I didn't bother to re-inlet the stock and I think that's why it didn't stay bent the way I wanted it to.

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

WS-1:
    I sent you a Pm.
    Steve Balistreri

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

1100 tube is brazed into the receiver. Replacement will require a new tube, brazing, and a receiver reblue (so a couple hundred bucks at least).

The nut on the back of the 870 is threaded into the receiver. It would not be an easy task to weld the hole up and re-drill and tap.

Easiest solution would be an adjustable comb and pad.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I know it COULD break but I've done dozens of them, and know dozens more
    done by guys who did the same with their guns, and there was not one case of a
    broken spring tube or weld, or problem with the recoil spring itself. We did this because we all shot high stocks for skeet, and while you could get
    a trap stock for the 12 gauge, that was the only way to raise the stock
    on the small gauges.

If you don't want to inlet the stock, leave the wood shim in and shoot it that
    way.

10. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Gentlemen,

Because of your help, I think I have the problem solved.

Kit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.