1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dropping your comb for handicap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

So I'm just settling in with my high shooting gun from the 15 metre line, but still struggle with handicap.

Just wondering what you guys think, I change the choke from a Perazzi no6 to an 8 for caps, still with the 30 inch barrel. I shoot from approx 24 yards (22 metres).

How many of you put the comb lower to flatten the POI for handicap? I'm thinking of trying it out, just dropping it around 1/12 inch (whatever 2mm is, sorry) to allow me to shoot a little lower to the bird.

Experience opinions are appreciated,

Dan Power

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Inorder to know what to do you have to find out what the POI of your gun is at the distance from the gun you break the target at. You can do this at the patterning board or you can shoot straight aways from post 3 and adjust the comb until you center hit the targets. By the way people usually raise their comb when moving to the handicap line, if they make any change at all. HMB

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What HMB said. Find you're POI at that distance. Are you using the same velocity shells at the 24 that you're using at 16? If your using the same shells, I would try getting the front sight/muzzle closer to the bird, maybe even cover it.

The bird is still rising the same, it just doesn't look like it the further back you go. And the shot is still falling as you move back. Try a faster shell if you don't like the POI. The last thing I'd do is lower the comb. You might also want to go back to the #6 choke.

Wayne

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Hey Dan,

Yes...you can lower your comb for handicap...BUT...not just for handicap. IMO, you can get away with a comb height that is not perfect for singles and it becomes more apparent when you move back. If you feel that your shooting over your handicap targets then by all means drop your comb but I the last thing I would do is raise it back up for singles. Another thing to try...if you are convinced you're set up perfectly for singles then try holding slightly lower for handicap. Lots of very good shooters do that.

Mark

p.s. Many people (including me) will bet their life they have been shooting over the target but in reality they are under them.

5. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Mark 425 got it right on! You may or may not be shooting over them....................SMOKIT

6. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Film your shot, then you'll know for certain!!

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You need to consider "WHERE" you shoot the target. Do you shoot quickly, and about how far out does the target break.

If you shoot fast/quickly, then, obviously the target is rising quickly, so lowering your POI is probably not the answer.

You should have someone stand downrange to either side and visibly estimate about how far out the target is when you shoot it. The further out the target the less the POI you should use.

For instance, I shoot extremely quickly from the 27, probably attributed to my vision, so I can get away with an extremely high shooting gun. I never shoot a target at apogee, but about half the way there, and NEVER on that is falling.

I believe if I shot slower, then I could/should lower my POI. I have to think I'm shooting probably 100% high.

I also think it is important to have the "helper" watch you shoot singles and get an idea of how far out the target is in singles when you break it. Not so much for POI, but for choke.

If you are a quick shooter in either singles or handicap, then you could consider a less restrictive choke. Also watch HOW the target breaks. Do you smoke it, or bust it to pieces, drive it down, up, left or right? I'd rather chip a 100 than smoke 99.

These are only my observations, but I have been on the 27 since the mid 70's, so I think I kinda have an idea of what works; for me anyway.

8. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

It is possible that the choke you are using does not shoot to the same poi as the choke you are using for singles. Take your chokes to the pattern board and determine if there is a difference in poi between the chokes and set your gun up acordingly

Bob

9. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Thanks for the replies, so a choke can shoot high or low too? Never thought of that!

I'll try holding on the trap house and see how that goes before moving the stock anywhere! It's been working out great from the 16 I don't want to screw that up of put more ideas in my head!

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it. You should not be worried about your hair out on the line anyway. Handicap requires the same amount of concentration.

11. coling

coling Member

I purchased 30 of these shells recently and plan to warm up and shoot some straightaways to see how I am doing. I'll report back my experiences in week or so.

Should answer any questions on where you are hitting.

At $2 a shell, this is a quick way to see and show the shooter what they are doing.

Colin

URL Cutoff - use this one:

http://www.fiocchiusa.com.foahost.arvixevps.com/foa/CMS/_news_new_chemical_tracer_shotgun_shells_from_fiocchi_ammunition_.aspx

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Tracer shells are all over the board, in my opinion you are looking at FIREWORKS, shoot them all on straight aways and watch where the Tracer goes, does it go the same way every time? BET NOT.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Thats the Fiocchi shortened. I wonder if you can see them in daylight, everything they show is at night under lights?

Wayne

You can shorten links with this program.

https://bitly.com/

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Most folks raise the comb about a 1/16" at a time to raise the poi for handicap. That's raising the poi about 3" for each 1/16". Lowering the the comb is probably the wrong way. Good luck.

15. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

Buy some copper plated shot and shoot it at night under good lights. Have somebody stand behind you and shoot some caps. They will easily see exactly where the shot string is going.

Hope it helps
    Lewis

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I'm scratching my head with Barry on this one.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Barry....that means that I agree with you. Most folks (if they do anything) raise it a tad.

19. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

So raising the comb will flatten the impact point of the gun, I had it backward!

I'm new to adjustable stocks so thanks for the info.

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Dan, raising the comb raises the POI. Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun. Most people want a higher POI for handicap, I know I do.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.