1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dropped a few? Why not save your shells?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ken X, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

If someone is at a big shoot, and is betting no options, and shoots so much he DOES NOT need it for the practice, why don't more people drop out after missing a few birds in singles and save their shells? When you know you have NO chance of winning anything, and you are just wasting your time and ammo now, and sometimes baking in the hot sun. Why doesn't it happen more? Especially with cost of reloads or new shells nowadays!

I know of an instance when a AA shooter with several 200's under his belt, was at a big state shoot, clealy to win something, knowing he had to shoot 200 to get in the shoot offs, dropped 2 or 3 birds and knew he was out of the running for anything. So he withdrew, and went home pissed at himself! If you are not trying to win a couple bucks in a lewis or something, and like this guy shoots enough that he does not need it for practice, why doesn't it happen more often? I have heard people many times say "I dropped a couple birds, I'm out of it!" So why not save your shells and time out in the hot sun?

2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Ken - many of us actually enjoy shooting. Also, I agree that its unsportsmanlike and poor form in general to pull out without some significant problems, e.g. health, family crisis, gun issue.

3. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I work like crazy to keep my avargeve up,,,,the only way to do it is shooting registerd targets,,If I am there to win I am playing the money,,,,and most of my trips to shoot are with friends,,we have a good time even if shooting bad,,,some times its about the friends not the targets

4. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Why would I leave because I dropped a couple of targets? If I left I wouldn't get to shoot.

Last time I checked everybody misses once in a while.

hubcap

5. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

I guess it would be ok if you are a quiter. What kind of a message does it send to your kids.

This game is not designed for people with that attitude. You have to learn to live with your successes and failures.

Sonny Daniels

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Because there are some who are not in it to shoot and have fun but are in it to see what they can get out of it and just wish to cut there losses.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

In all the clay target shooting sports I have one time or another dropped a target and said to myself. I'm now just shooting for fun, especially in sporting at a so called easy station.

Looking back, a number of times in those instances I ended up winning a few bucks. You just never know whats going on around you.

It also pays to play the Lewis Class : )

I guess I shoot more for fun and just happen to shoot registered in order to have the opportunity to visit clubs and meet shooters.

If I ever get to the point where I would consider walking off the field after missing one target I guess it's time to look for a new hobby.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You still have to pay for 200 targets why would you not shoot them? Most AA shooters would like to make the state team or become AAA shooters.

The best way to save shells is stay home.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Don't forget that dropping out will screw up the squad that will keep on shooting until they finish!

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I paid for them and thus I'm going to shoot them!

Would not want the guys I started with to have to finish with a short squad.

Was taught from childhood to not be either a "quiter" or "whinner"!

If I was concerned about saving shells, would have went to the golf course or fishing instead!

11. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

You will also probably find it very difficult to get a squad if you drop out every time that you drop a target or two. I don't know of ANYONE with a 100% average. Other than that new guy that won the state championship with a 200 and that is the only targets that he has shot. One shoot does not an average make though. It is all the shoots, all the weather, all the pith shooters that one may encounter, etc, that makes a shooter. Quitters never win and winners never quit. John

12. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Thinking a little more, this really irritates me. Do you think that Leo or Harlan or maybe Frank throw in the towel after they drop one? Or is this shooter better than the mentioned guys? Somehow I doubt it. That is why that guy will never be a true champion.

By the way, what was he clearly there to win if he was not playing any options? The glory of singles? lmao.

Anyone that EVER says to themselves "I'm out of it" was already out of it before they ever picked up their gun from the case.

John

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

'cause we like to shoot

Besides, sometimes the bottem line of the Lewis pays pretty good?

14. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

Gosh think of the great example that would be setting for the younger crowd...you drop a few targets and drop out of the event because you have no chance of winning anything???? Nice...How do you KNOW that you have no chance...My motto is stick it out till the end and forget the ones that you missed and concentrate on the ones that you still have to shoot....Kym

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If that is the persons outlook then he should by all means pull out. His parents will probley wish that they had "Pulled out" after they realize that they raised such a loser/ poor sport. It's a totally selfish action but it is allowed under the rules. jeff

16. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Hell, if I quit after I 'missed a couple' sometimes I wouldn't make it off the first post, LOL. I'm usually busy trying to coordinate the shoot, register shooters, get the squads out - you know the drill.

I almost NEVER get a 'practice' round until the first trap.

And last weekend, in a 700 target weekend at BRSP, I opened with an 89 in singles. So I'm out of it, right?? Followed that with a 96. Went to the doubles and shot 40, 41, 48, and 38 for a 167 - so I'm still out of it, right??

Sunday was our handicap marathon - 300 targets. It's raining. First 100 was an 84, good for 5th place. Still no good...I'm out of it, right??? Second 100 was an 87, good for 6th place - I'm still out of this, right??? Last hundred was a 92 - good for the win in that hundred and a half yard punch as the only shooter to top 90.

And overall in the marathon? SECOND place, by 3 targets. But the 'winner' didn't play the purse - so I got the lions share of that, which pretty near paid for the targets.

Oh, and the HOA? I got second place for the weekend...by 10 targets.

Sure glad I stuck with it...even though it was a lost cause the whole damn way!

If you quit, you can't ever win. But I win a lot by not quitting.

17. smartass

smartass TS Member

I can't imagine not shooting targets I've already paid for. After all, the targets,fees, etc. cost far more than a few measly shotgun shells.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Dropping out is a chicken$hit thing to do.

If I drop 4 or 5 targets out of 100 I will be ecstatic. One of the "benefits" of being a class C/D shooter.

Don

19. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I have only walked off the line once when the lightning was very close, the black clouds were swirling and they would not call us off the line. At that point, they can have my money for the other 50 targets. They need it worse than I do.
    I would walk off the line for health reasons. My wife would really be pissed at me if I died on the line because I was stubborn and would not go and sit in the shade. I have some heart issues which make shooting in hot / humid conditions very iffy.
    To walk off the line just because I suck that day, would not happen. Take your lumps and get on with it. Use the rest of the round to try something new if nothing else. Nubs Wagner.

20. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Do what you wanna. You paid for the targets and you can do anything that you want to with em and you won't hurt my feelings by leaving early. Its really none of my business. I'll just stay til mine are done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.