1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Droping off a squad during an ATA event?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Over the many years of registered shooting I have droped off a squad while shooting only one time due to a gun break down when I could not fix the gun myself in less than a couple minutes while on the line.

With that being said, there have been some times that I considered droping out but did not. In all my years of shooting I have only seen and shot with only one guy who was so drunk that he could hardly stand up. We stoped the squad and called an official and the shooter was removed from competition.

Then there was a time we had a local shooter who would drop off a squad if he was more than two targets down within the first 50 targets. It didn't take long before each local club was alerted what this guy did at shoots, and he was told if he droped off a squad he would not be refunded his money and the ATA would be notified of his actions.

Another time, I completed a squad at the local state shoot to be squaded with a frail elderly man in his 90's who would place his work worn model 12 on the grass in front of him after each and every shot because he did not have the strength to hold the gun until his next shot. When it was his turn to shoot, he slowly and I mean slowly bent over and picked up his gun to shoot the next target. This process on each shot took about 30 seconds before he called for the next bird, which took around another 30 seconds. Two guys on the squad said that their guns broke down at the same time and left the squad. I honestly I also considered it droping out myself, but did not.

Other than gun break downs, or shooters who are intoxicated on the line, or gun safety issues, or illness, are there any other valid reasons to drop off a squad?
    Steve Balistreri

2. 682LINY

682LINY Member

have not droped out, but have stoped shooting , as squad leader at NY state shoot,, had a father and son from out of state,,, on the line wih us,,,, they would close there actions as the person next to them would call for bird than raise the gun and track the bird,,,well i was stright till then but it was bothering the other shooters,,, droped the next 2 birds after restart,,,shot 97,maybe next time i walk away

3. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Just once. Was following a shooter that took about 8 seconds to shoot. Made the first 50 but couldn't take any more.

Robert

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

One time I had to stop shooting because of a profuse nose bleed. I had to make up the targets on the practice trap. Since then I had the nose blood vessle cauterized. Chest pains would make me drop out. I carry a Nitro patch in my shooting bag.

5. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Dropped out once after 75, due to the intense heat, and no water at the trap stations. About 30 minutes of taking fluids, and shade, and I was ready to go home.

But, I'm terribly out of shape!

Danny

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

UH-OH! My pre shot routine takes about 8 seconds after the shooter before me fires his shot. I have never had a fellow walk off the line because of my pre shot routine. I have never walked off the line because of another shooter's pre shot routine.

I don't complain when machine gun shooters call for the bird before the machine cycles, then yell into the speaker as though the equipment is not working right.

I don't like to shoot with machine gun shooters, but will without complaint.

7. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Shooting Coach.
    I didn't complain and didn't walk off the squad. After the 50 I told them I had gun problems and left.

You paid for the targets, you shoot them the way you want to. Just hope everyone don't take 8 seconds or we will all be paying $35.00 per 100.

Robert

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

8 seconds is not bad, but not more than that. Like a slower squad.

Did not shoot with him, but a shooter in Florida I saw took more like 15 seconds to get a shot off, felt like forever. But what do I know, he won the singles event.

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Dropped out only once due to a gun break down... gun fixed due to a great gun smith [Jim Flynn]. He found the bur, smoothed it, and ready to go. Shoot management let me finish at the end of squading... So guess I never dropped out.
    Fred

10. pdq

pdq Member

I've never dropped out of an event, but if what happened to me at a state shoot this past summer ever occurs again I will. Through a squadding error, I found myself shooting with 4 AIM shooters who were not good. A score of 17 would result in high 5s. Loss, Loss, Loss, Loss. 1 kid super fast, another super slow. At the time I was shooting 95 - 96% range and shot a pair of 81s that day. Ruined my average, as I only shoot about 1,200 - 1,300 registered targets a year. I guess if I shot a lot more and had the psychological discipline to not let it affect me it would have been different. But, the fast/slow tempo and constant losses affected my concentration.

Pete

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

shot behind a guy in Janesville one time that you could count to 30 before he would call for a bird....It was agonizing, one of my worse singles score ever, you would actually start looking up and down the line, then see who was standing outside the club house.....guy ran 100 straight.

tony

12. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

For me, dropping out instead of throwing the gun is good! Tom Rhoads

13. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Only once and I told a fib to remove myself. Had a shooter to my left that would mount his gun and if he didn't like it he would unmount, open the action, put the gun barrel on his toe pad, gaze into the distance, close the action and remount. On each shot the minimum number of remounts was 2 and one time I think he did it 8 times! I usually can ignore silly stuff but this was just too much on that day. I felt sorta bad for the guy...but... said my gun won't fire and walked off. When I turned to walk off I noticed a crowd had gathered to watch the poor guy. Made up the targets on a later short squad.

14. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Well, and just my opinion, 8 seconds is nothing to get uptight about. There are plenty of shooters out there, good shooters I might add, that take a tad more time than what some feel is normal. Now when you get into the 30 second times, rhar's a different story. Just log the fellows name and stay away from the squad he's on. There's no reason to make a scene.

I think the machine gunners are just as frustrating to so e as are the slower shooters; personally, I dislike the race to the finish guys. Seems they even push the squads ahead of them to get rolling. I always wonder where the heck do they have to get to? And if time is of concern for a future engagement, pash on the trap and just go there. Don't spoil the day for other shooters who might be enjoying the experience...

I almost dropped from a squad one time when a woman shooter to my right had the bad habit of slamming home a shell into her auto just after I said ' pull', and then raise the shotgun to her should and track my bird, even to the point of saying 'BOOM' when she practice fired at my bird. I asked her between rounds to please refrain from such antics and her reply was 'I always do it that way, and I'm not about to change now.' after thinking back on that time, I'm glad she was a woman or I might have popped her for such an insulting attitude. I made sure I noted her name in my little black book. I still see her at meets now and then, but somehow her 'I always do it that way, and I'm not about to change now' has changed. Someone got to her and told her what was up.

15. senior smoke

Years ago at the Milwaukee gun club I was shooting a 16 yard event and a man was on station 3, I was on 4, and his wife was on 5. When I would mount my gun the husband or wife would step one foot in front of the 16 yard station and discuss any miss that he or she had with each other.

Politely, I asked for them to stop talking when I was shooting and please do not step forward of the 16 yard line as I felt it was unsafe.

After the first 25 targets the husband stated that I should mine my own business. I went inside the club house and told the guy in charge what was going on and he also told them what they were doing was unsafe .

Long story short, I made 2 new enemies.
    Steve

16. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Remember if someone is disruptig the shoot and other shooters on your squad agree you can ask to have that peron(s) either change what they are doing or be removed from the squad. You have the right to a good squad.

Ed Fish
    Racine, WI

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Once. I had a screw break that holds the plate my comb hardware it attached to. The comb was swinging freely and I could not shoot the gun. I lost a bunch of targets in the sub event and that cost me my 98 average in 2010. I now carry a roll of electrical tape in my kit and check mounting scews regularly.

Mr. Heeg fixed it overnight and I was able to finish the rest of the events. Mr. Heeg is a good guy.

Don Verna

18. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

What this game needs is a shot clock with a 6 second window to make your shot otherwise it's a lost target.

Eric

19. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Doesn't bunker have a time requirement? I'm told you have 10 seconds from the shot of the preceeding shooter to call for your target.

20. senior smoke

Eric:
    I never thought of that, as a lot of sports have shot clocks. Shooting to fast or to slow can really destroy the shooting rhythm of a squad. That is way I usually like to shoot with the same shooters as I hate surprises on the line. Fast or slow, it only takes one to destroy the entire rhythm of a squad.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.