1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drop In High(er) Rib for Perazzi Adj. Rib Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

A couple of years ago when I first started building add-on ribs, PerazziBigBore mentioned something about building taller replacement ribs for the adjustable Perazzi's. Such as taking an MX10 rib off and installing a new one making it similar to MX2005 height or PBB even said DB-81 height. We actually went as far on the idea as finding someone with both an MX10 and MX2005 and he let us pull them apart and take measurements, (which I regret to say we managed to lose those dimensions) but that's as far as it went because we really didn't have a good/efficient way of producing them.<BR><BR>

But now we have the equipment, abilities and rib-building experience to do these and I am kicking around the idea of possibly doing a couple and seeing how they work. I think I'd need to see an interest in them before I really consider building the first one. I remember there were a couple of local TS.com'ers who said they would be interested in one for their gun.<BR>

So I ask the all-knowing crowd of TS.com: Is there any interest?<BR>

Thanks for your time, Josh.

2. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Josyh,

I think its a good idea, probably have some interest. What I would like to see is a replacement rib that uses the existing notch patterns, but will go up to about 120% high when looking flat doen the rib. I think this could be done by keeping the same front rib dimensions, but making the slope up the rear of the rib longer and therefore taller.

Is that kind of what you are thinking about?

Don

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

With the number of factory ribs breaking on the end..Just a regular replacement rib would be a good seller.. Add to that a low rib with a short high rib to mimic the 2005 short rib.. would be another good seller..

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Back when Josh was just getting started he made me a non adjustable add on rib for my Kolar Combo O/U barrels so I could raise my POI without readjusting my comb when I switched barrels . It was made exactly as I specified and fit perfectly first time and performed as I expected. I was very happy with his work and his willingness to listen to my ideas. I suspect that if he starts making the adjustable ribs those that get them will be pleased.

--- Chip King ---

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nothing new under the sun! Jody Devers' pigeon gun, a Ljutic O/U, had a short rib in early '80s

6. GR Eubanks

GR Eubanks Active Member

I think there is a small market for Krieghoff KX5. Aluminum so it is lighter on the front end and higher.

Roger

7. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Josh, I have a KS5 Special with an adjustable factory rib that i would like to have a rib made to replace the factory rib to allow for a higher POI. You just let me know when you are ready to make it. Thanks, Tim

8. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

What kind of prices are we talking about. I have a Beretta combo with adjustable Moneymaker ribs(same as Perazzi style) but are made of steel. I would like to have the ribs about 1/2 inch higher and don't want to just do an add on rib, it doesn't look as clean. I went the add-on route with my old Kolar and never really liked the looks of it.

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

claybuster, I'm not sure on price yet, it would be considerably more than my standard add on ribs due to more machining required and the anodizing. They couldn't be powder coated like the normal ribs because there are too many features on the adjustable ribs that require another part to fit.

A ribs POI adjustment could be changed by simply making it tapered rather than the standard parallel.

My only hang up at this point is getting measurements. I just happened to bring this up when everybody is gearing up for trap in the spring and probably won't be willing to let go of their gun. I'd need to be able to get a hold of the rib and take measurements. Once I got the measurements for a certain gun, I wouldn't need to get them again, so it would be a one time thing unless it was something special like your Moneymaker rib claybuster.

I think that's enough "thinking out loud" for now...

Thanks for the responses. Josh

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Go to Poly-Choke and look at the ribs on 2nd page, of their web site, I ordered one of the ribs that is .700-.250 and I got about 18"inches high,
    Waiting for my son to get the new modified stock painted, I got the sight picture I need, and it is finished sanded, and being painted, they cost less than half the price of a new rib, mine was about $200 and a beautul job.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Gary, those ribs are just simple add on ribs like I already build. Right now I am looking at building a drop in rib to replace a standard adjustable rib in the Perazzi and K-guns. I'd be more than happy to build someone an add on like Poly-Choke does, but I'm trying to get some input on the drop-in ribs for adjustable guns as well.

I've replied to all emails so far. Thanks for the input. Josh

12. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Hi Ed,
    Never had that request before, but if we can get the dimensions we should be able to do it for you. Shoot me an email and I can look into getting you an idea on cost.

I've been told that not all Perazzi's use the same size rib, like one 34" MX2000 may not have the exact same length rib as a newer/older 34" MX2000. Does anyone know for sure if this is the case? If so, I don't really know how I'm going to go about getting all of the dimensions I'll need to build these.

Any help is appreciated. Josh

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Josh my son is interested in a high shooting rib for his Perazzi MX-15, he wants it to shoot 30+ inches at 30 yards.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Wow, 30 inches at 30 yards seems really high. But we should be able to do it, I just need a way to get the dimensions and know where the gun currently shoots at the (highest?) setting so we can do the math to get the preferred POI. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks, Josh.

15. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Hoping to have a rib built and ready to be anodized by the end of the month. I'll post pictures of the results. Thanks for all of the help. Josh

16. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Hmm, this sounds like an interesting proposition. I have an MX2000RS and I wouldn't mind trying a slightly higher rib, something closer to a MX2005. At least as an experiment it would be very interesting. I'd be interested in hearing final costs when you get them.

17. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Josh,

Send me your mailing address and I will send you an exact tracing of Perazzi's MX8-SR short rib.

Surfer

18. Smiley

Smiley Member

Have followed this thread with interest,Josh if a barrel was sent to you could you copy the rib that is on it (it is a 3 step Perazzi adjustable) but make it higher
    Paul

19. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Josh must be very busy, I sent him MX2000RS ribs earlier this year for him to get dimensions from and he was planning on having ribs for the Grand in August. He did return my ribs after getting needed dimensions,

Subsequent emails following up on the progress have not been returned.

20. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You may want to contact Josh directly, since its been over 7 months since he was last on this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.