1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

drop chnage on mec loader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Just changed from red dot to 700x to get a little faster shell with about the same grain drop on my mec grabber. When I first opened the keg I had the drop at 17.6 grains, just where I wanted it. Loaded up 4 boxes of shells and they seemed about where i wanted them when I shot them last night. Today went to load up some more and I'm looking at a powder drop of 17 even. What would be the reason for the change? Everything seems ok mechanically on the loader. Should I just not worry about it, because it would be the same volume of powder despite the weight change? Does powder dry out or something when you open it, affecting the grain weight? 17 gr is consistant every shell. Bill

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Are you sure you were getting a consistent 17.6?

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Measure 10 drops in a row and take the average. You've looked at variation of how many drops? Powder drop consistency is a problem I've given up on because I shoot the bottom end of speed and pressure curves. Some claim powder baffles help. I've never tested that with a scale. I did change my Mec bushings from 1 rubber & 1 copper to 2 copper. This stopped powder from appearing on top of the bar when it's all the way to the left.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes it is a good idea when opening up a new keg of powder to shake it up a bit to mix the powder up. Sometimes more dense grains can settle in the container. HMB

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I just weighed 2 drops when I did the powder change. They were the same so I moved on. I just now weighed 10 drops and they averaged 17.1. I also checked the shell data and the difference in speed is not enough to worry about with a .4 or .5 change in grain. Bill

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Slayer: You don't give us your complete load data but 17gr 700X does make a good 2&3\4--1&1\8 load @ about 1135-1150 fps in a CF hull. If you're loading 1oz or 7\8oz they will be a snappy load in a CF hull. Ross Puls

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

1 1/8 shot, 17 gr 700x, claybuster 1118 wad, win 209 primer, AA hull.My book is putting it closer to 1200 fps. seems to break 'em well. Bill

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Yes that load will break anything on the trap field and not put your shoulder out of joint. I shot a lot with that data when I was using 1&1\8, but have dropped down to just a few pellets over 7\8 because that's what my 1oz bushing drops, my 7\8 bushing only drops a few pellets over 3\4, I use the 7\8 (24gm)data about 15&1\2 to 16gr 700X. Saves a little on components and I can't say that my scores changed much but my (71yo) shoulder likes them better. If I'm shooting registered or porch shoots I do go to factory 2&3\4--1&1\8 usually #8s unless it's real cold. Ross

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I was shooting 1 oz loads until I got the bt fitted with recoil reduction. [rad] Found out I could go back to 1 1/8 without too much pain. Don't know if my scores are any better, but the breaks are prettier. I still haven't figured out what's going on with the change in weight on the drop, but I guess if it's consistant it doesn't matter. Heavier powder on the top of the can?? come on. Bill

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Maybe the powder can was upside down on the ride from the factory to the dealer. HMB

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You are correct, as long as the drops are consistent you probably couldn't tell the difference. And in reality 1\2 gr usually won't make that much difference unless you are at the top end of pressure which you are not @ 17gr. Factory loads will vary that much in velocity from 1 shell to another. Ross

12. gordy h

gordy h Member

Don't feel bad, I found that mine very 17 to 17.6 from day to day. The weather seems to make a difference, also there is a change from keg to keg I check
    every 10 shells, if I get to far from my goal I use them for practice, Butch H

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"Maybe the powder can was upside down on the ride from the factory to the dealer." ;-)

However hmb may not be that far off. 700X, my favorite powder since the '60s, used to be notorious for "caking". If it sat undisturbed, in the 12 lb keg or or even the powder bottle on my MEC (Grabber or 9000), it always had a tendency to get "sticky" and give goofy drops, sometimes even short charges.

This powder taught me to A. Never leave powder in the powder bottle when finished and B. When starting out in your loading session, give the powder container a decent shaking.

Having said that, the newer 700X doesn't seem to do it as bad. Your variation may be just the difference in rythm when you finally get your Grabber in "progressive phase" and are cranking out rounds.

You are weighing charges, and for that I commend you. Checking them in the middle production is another excellent habit, so you're doing well. Try the other folks suggestions as well and begin to have fun figuring out reloading.

I still believe my Grabber made the best reloads.

Good luck.

14. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Before someone writes in with those famous words, "I use a powder baffle on my MEC and NEVER get inconsistent powder drops", let me just put my 2 cents in. It's a MEC, and you are going to get periodic inconsistent powder drops. Deal with it, and it won't hurt anything either.

Let 'er fly...

PS - AveragEd will be along directly!

Jon Reitz

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I wrote a thread "Powder vs Humidity" and got conflicting answers as to what I thought of a loss of weight using 700X for over 20+ years . Went from 15.3 to 14.8 when I started using the dehumidifier this summer . I never changed bushings on my 366 and got a lower weight after the first 2-3 boxes . Was out of powder so the new can was fresh from the dealer and the next week I saw I was dropping less in weight than a week before . They said humid air weighs less and I don`t buy it . I still drop the same bushing full and none of the powder has ever caked up on me so I believe the dehumidifier has something to do with my .5 difference . My scale works just fine too and the shells have a nice ring to them and smoke targets using an oz of shot . Nice on the shoulder to .

16. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

When you figure this one out let me know. I use a 9000H. I have always had a problem with the powder drops. I also use 700X the first 5 drops can be as much as a 1 to 11/2 gr. heavy. After that it will be ok for the rest of the bottle. I have tried a baffle, dryer sheets and emptying the bottle when not in use. I also tried an adjustable bar. Nothing seems to help

Bill

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Do you keep the powder bottle pretty full all the time, I try to keep mine 3/4 full or more all the time. This will make a slight difference.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. open choke

open choke TS Member

Slayer.....

you are using practically the same as me. I was told by the guy who gave my this recipe it shoots at 1185-1190 (he checked it with a chrono)

I'm using a grabber 8567 - Gun club hulls - 700x - 1 1/8 shot - Win 209a - WAA12 wad. My drops are 17 grain which varies +/- 0.2 grain. Using a 29 or 30 bushing sorry I forgot the number.

I like the load so far

19. open choke

open choke TS Member

Also thanks for the powder tip too I will shake my keg before it goes in the powder bottle

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Now understand forum critiques that this is my experience with powder of discussion. Of all the various powders and lot numbers within a specified brand, 700X has proven to be the most sensitive to humidity and thus varying drops of any that I've used. With that said, you won't miss a target close enough that .5 gr will make up for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.