1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Droid phone connected to laptop

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by steele, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

Has anyone ever connected their smart phone to a desk top/laptop computer? Being I already have an internet connetion on my phone, is it posible to use its connection to use the larger size computer screen? I tried a search & I think it's called "tethering". Butch from Pgh

2. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Yes, it should be no problem but I wouldn't go overboard the first pay cycle you try it since some plans limit your data downloads and over-charge with excessive usage.

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

3. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Just made this move. Ive already used up my 4g of data so I will have to pay the overage. Going to get my home internet back up Monday and just rely on getting to a wi fi spot when im on the road. Also depending on your service the downloading is very slow and service in and out is a pain. Even if you have sprint (which is the only phone that has unlimited data plans) the speed from tethering is way slower then a home line high speed and really not much more per month.
    Chris

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Yes, tethering works fine and it's speeds are dependent upon signal strength, how busy the network is and which generation of data is available. My ATT 4G (non LTE) gets speeds around 3-4 MB and sometimes up to 6 MB. LTE speeds are much faster. It works well, but isn't the best way to get internet unless it's your only choice. ATT charges $50 per month for its 5 GB tethering plan. If you stream video you can use that up very quickly. It's real handy if you need to use your laptop while traveling, but in a fixed location there are far cheaper options.

5. steele

steele TS Member

I go to several trade shows per year & it would be handy to have access while at the convention centers. Being I already have a laptop with me for the business accounts, I just thought it would be cost effective to tether for 3 days versus the $200 service fee the show wants for access. I guess I'll give it a test run first.

6. coling

coling Member

For intermittent use, Virgin Mobile has a great program.

Walmart has a special deal with them. $100? for the MiFi device.

You can turn on the MiFi device for up to 30 days and 1 gig (compared to .5 gig outside of Walmart) for $20. Check with Walmart.

Am using it now. Speed is OK. Uses the Sprint network and was purchased by Sprint to provide their prepaid service.

Colin

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

The advantage of tethering over USB devices for your laptop is that with tethering you get to share the data between your computer and your phone. Also, with ATT at least, you can still use the phone for calls while it's providing tethering wifi.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

John is the ICloud a form of tethering? I ask because I can share files and general info between my computer and phone without the use of USB devices or actually physically connecting the phone and computer.

9. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Matt

iCloud stores your content and pushes it from one device to another. Tethering is taking a wireless device ( phone) and using it as a modem to make your computer wireless. Which phone companys don't like unless you're paying for it.

Doug.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug. I'm not the most computer literate person that is for sure. I'm learning slowly though.

11. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

In the next year you wont even need you're laptop all you'll need is you're phone. Check video above. skip ad. Apple has been securing all domain names for the companys involved. Look for Apple to take Aatma out.

Doug

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you have Verizon Wireless they charge $20 a month for wireless tethering
    of up to five devices at once. If you are able to "root" (unlock, jailbreak,etc.) you phone, you can do it without signing up for the Verizon
    "Hotspot."

13. trapster100

trapster100 Member

No need to tether. Make your phone a wifi hotspot.

Click link above.

14. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I installed a tethering app that cost a one time fee of $10. It works perfectly and I am not stuck paying monthly fees to Verizon or ATT.

Bryan

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Making your phone a wifi hotspot is what tethering is. Like dougbbb said, tethering is simply using your phone as a modem to provide internet to other devices- it can either be done with wifi or with a usb connection depending upon the phone. Phones don't all have the same capabilities.

16. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Marked for later read.

17. banker

banker Member

I have a Droid razor that i use all the time for internet connection on my laptop. i have verizon wireless with a unlimited data plan. I downloaded pdanet app from june fabrics and now have unlimited internet access on my laptop. They offer the app free for 30 days and then there is a one time charge of 14.95. you can use it tethered or bluetooth. tethered seems to work faster for me. I have been using it for two years now without any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.