1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

driving with guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I tried to research this own my own but could not find anything. I am 16 and just got my drivers license. I live in Pa. and my parents would like for me to drive myself to trap practices and ATA shoots, but I am not sure that It is legal. Would it be ok for me to drive by myself with my trap gun unloaded, disassembled, and in the case. I want to be absolutely sure this is legal before I do it.

2. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I'm thinking you would have to be 18. Check your state's website under 'firearm laws'

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

That's what I was thinking. I tried looking it up, but I can not find where it says what age you have to be.

4. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

i would say look in your hunting and fishing regulations booklet it will usually say something about it and if you can't find out for sure the best way would be to just go to the police department and ask them what the laws and regs are so you don't get nailed for misreading something.

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I have to agree with the two post above. Look in your phone book for the Pa State Police and call them or just wait till Mon and call the local gun shop. In Va you have to be 18 to have a long gun by yourself without an adult with you. You can always take a chance and put the gun in your trunk broken down and in a case and KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. Keep nothing in the car anyone can see from the outside and you should be fine. When I was your age it was not a problem and no one said a thing.

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Click the above web address and select Sec. 6110.1. Scroll down on the page change to read the text of the section. Target shooting is specifically addressed in 6110.1, (b), (1).

7. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

i am 17 and was thingking the same thing i looked it up and here in CT as a minor you cant buy a firearm until you are 18 but you can posses one as long is it isnt and handgun so i am good. and from all the info i have recieved if you are traveling for a competition some other laws dont apply like in Mass you need an FID to have a gun but if you are going to a shoot you dont need to have one to have a firearm in the state. Hope this helps

8. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Thanks Mac V. Now, if I am reading this right, it says that I can transport a firearm as long as it is unloaded and I am transporting it for a lawful activity, right? I don't know why they have to make these laws so confusing to read. Thanks, jamie

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Doesnt it have to be in a closed case?

Gene

10. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Now, if I am reading this right, it says that I can transport a firearm as long as it is unloaded and I am transporting it for a lawful activity, right? I don't know why they have to make these laws so confusing to read."</blockquote>

There are 2 aspects to every law...what it says and how it's interpreted. Now that you know the letter of the law, ask a local District Magistrate for an interpretation/clarification of what you've read. Explain your situation and your intent and be prepared to wait a few days. It will be easier to get one if you can cite the Title, section and paragraph you are interested in.

Mike

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

In any case, don't make the mistake that I read about from time to time in that you forget to remove the firearm from the vehicle after a day of shooting and go to school with the gun still in the vehicle.

Mistake or not, you may be banned from school for a period of time.

12. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Thanks for all the info. I did some more research and posted this question on a couple other forums and everyone seems to say that it is ok. Don't worry, I won't leave it in the car and even if I did I wouldn't be stupid enough to tell someone about it.

13. willing

willing Member

Be carefull You have to be under the supervision ...... Are you under that when you are driving to and fro the event?????

Bill

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It would be OK in some states, as long as you have parental permission. I'm not sure about PA, but sometimes a signed note might be all you need. As long as the gun is unloaded and in a case in the trunk or not accessable to the driver or other occupants of the vehicle, you are probably OK, but I certainly would check the state law to be sure.

15. M-16

M-16 TS Member

your Sheriffs dept is your most qualified they issue your pistol permits in Pa.
    If law prohibbits you from doing so, they could issue you a permit for carring a unloaded shot gun in your trunk, keep the shells in a diffrent location.

Good Luck

16. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I am still going to do some more research and I probably will check with the sherriff or state police.

17. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I agree, you should look into it further.

To translate the wording above, I believe it means this: You have to be under the supervision of one of the specified adults; (long pause) AND engaged in a lawful activity or transporting it lawfully.

I would not recommend transporting without the proper supervision.

18. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

Go to packing.org and look up your state. There are also forums on that site and may offer some assistance.

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

As far as Mass goes under 18 and driving in this state is a problem, have to be alone or have someone 18 or over with you. As far as non resident gun holder visiting......well you better be of leagal age and have your current ID for possesion. They might not be able to charge with something but THEY WILL hold you up long enough so you miss your event. Jeeeezz and speeding ticket will hold you up 30 min or longer. Under 18 comeing into mass with out adult is a problem in its self. If your going from home to range and everyone knows you maybe, Dont think its worth the chance.

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Gordy you keep the invading force from your side getting to us, Ill try to keep the madness contained in mass, Thanks to all that voted this clowns in 30 years ago in mass, yes they keep getting voted in AAAARRRGGGHHHH. now they are now retireing and moveing out, couse its screwed up and they cant afford it. thanks mom dad granpa and grand ma who started this liberal democrat mess in massachusetts. East coast and west coast are putting the squeeze on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.