1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Driving up from VA to western NY: roads cleared?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sernv99, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I plan to drive up from northern VA to western NY, near Rochester.

anyone living in the I-81 corridor in PA? That's the main route I take to transit PA into NY. Just wanted to know if you think by early Friday the roads will be cleared of the snow and ice. I am hoping the main highways in the northern VA and wester MD are cleared by Friday...

Thanks.

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Weather man said chance for another foot of snow tues night through wed night with high winds, with blowing,drifting snow wednesday.

As long as it ends by wed night I don't see much of a problem in Pa BUT...that stretch of road on I-81 from around Frackville up past Hazleton and beyond is the worst ever. Even on a good day a few flakes of snow and some wind turn it into a skating ring. Many many wrecks happen there.

When weather hits..... the Penn DOT trucks all head for the interstate except a very small number who do local roads.

By Friday there shouldn't be a problem, UNLESS there is more snow thurs or later.
    Pay attention to the weather.

www.511pa.com will give you travel info in Pa , it's fairly new

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

thanks...yeah I have driven the I-81 corridor many times and the Scranton-WB area is the worse when it snows....I plan to leave during first daylight here in northern VA....

4. B V

B V TS Member

If you take 15 north from Harrisburg to 390 in NY you will completely avoid the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area.

Good road and much shorter distance.

5. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

BV:

I thought Rt. 15 had traffic lights and the such, hence why I avoided it and went I-81 straight up.....

6. krakadawn

krakadawn TS Member

Just came down 81 from Ontario on Sunday. NY,Maryland and Pen. roads were excellent and dry WV was terrible-such a bad job on plowing with hard ice islands all over the road. As soon as I hit the Va. border, the roads were great again.By today they should have been cleared up-many vehicles stranded in the medium and yet to be pulled out-including 18 wheelers.
    Jim

7. brantman

brantman TS Member

they wont be tommorrow

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

18" + coming at the east coast.....Tuesday night into Wednesday...

Curt

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

You can get an up-date on this site in 15 minutes when your ready to leave but there will be a heavy snow fall as you can see by the Weather Channel and others reporting here. Could be as much as or more than 18 inches.

10. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

PLEASE try the www.511pa.com for travel info anywhere in Pa.

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

15 isn't too bad, thats the route I take when I go to elysburg for the PA state, and the same route i'll take to go to richmond this summer for the great eastern (which are on the same weekend this year, so i'll probably swing by elysburg for a couple hours or a half a day on my way down since its only about 10 mins out of the way for me).

12. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

15 is a good road out of harrisburg. It does have some traffic lights and does have some 50 mph zones. I travel to Jacksonville, NC from Western NY regularly on this road.

On the other hand, I also take route 81 if I want to go to the east side of harrisburg. I have a good friend that lives 5 min from Lebanon, and this is quicker. Coming from NC I take:

17 out of Fredericksburg to 66
    66 to 81 to Harrisburg
    Harrisburg pick up 15

15 is an easy drive, with a little lane changing in Williamsport.

15 terminates onto rt 86( 17 on older maps), which goes straight to 390 and your home free.

It is absolutely quicker to Rochester.

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Roads are clear so far by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.