1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Driving directions miles or time?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Here is the question, if you were to give some one driving directions in your area would you give them how far they are from their destinantion in miles or time? Being from the Chicago area I give them a time line!

2. bocephus

bocephus Member

Distance doesn't change but are you sure everyone always encounters same traffic conditions and drives the same speed as you do?

3. MAX & TOBY

MAX & TOBY Member

Here in SW Pa we give it in miles. Traffic volume changes by the minute and a time line would never work here.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Around here it is given by miles and landmarks that haven't been around for 25 years. "Turn right at the red barn, but it hasn't stood for over 30 yrs." Lol.

I was once in Mercer County Illinois trying to find my way to a little town and was told to turn at the "rainbow barn". If that barn ever falls in, the town will cease to exsist!

ss

5. Bruce Specht

In the Chicago area speed and traffic doesn't change that much, I can be accuarte givnign times. May sound far feteched but it's true, more times than not time is the accurate way of givning some one directions.

6. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Miles and landmarks. If my wife were to use the time thingie they would never get there. She's late for everthing. Has no concept of time.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Bernie,

That's damn funny!

ss

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I let Garmin handle the directions. HMB

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

East Texas Redneks use neither, They judge how far it is in sixpacks.

"Well now, lemme see, from here to over yonder is 'bout a sixpack and a half, nears I can recollect."

10. Bruce Specht

I moving to Texas

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Bruce, come on down. We got lotsa space and plenty of beer.

Gne J

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

We use landmarks and time in Vermont. No one keeps track of miles and time is easier. Hopefully, most of the landmarks used still exist, but it's not uncommon for one or more to have burned down. And directions depend on how long you've been around. I lived in a house that had been an old schoolhouse and then had a series of owners. When people asked where I lived, I asked how long they had lived in town. I could then accurately tell them that I lived in the old Ralph Schoolhouse, or the Smith place or the old Colburn place.

Bruce

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

That's an old joke about Texas; something like, "In most states you tell people how many miles it is from place to place; in LA it's how many hours; and in Texas it's how many 6 packs."

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ok, I gotta ask, "how many miles to a 6 pack"? Just the standard observed measure.

ss

15. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Time-based directions insult my intelligence

16. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I'm from SW Colorado and drive a lot of roads in Indian country. It is impossible to get a distance estimate from an Indian in miles, it's always in time and it's always wrong. Gas station in Gallup, "how far to Ship Rock ?", "bout an hour". Well it's not. I've been around long enough now that I don't have to ask anymore. It used to drive me nuts. gyrine

17. shadow

shadow Active Member

"Just down the road A ways", "Not too far","A right smart piece", "Long ways".

They all mean someting different here in Kentucky.

As for big cities---"They aint far enough".

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Maybe more important than distance or time. The GPS should say "enter at your own risk" or "have your carry weapon in the ready position". In reality certain areas of all major cities should have warning signs -NOT A Tourist Recommended ZONE.

Phil Berkowitz

19. shadow

shadow Active Member

"Just down the road A ways", "Not too far","A right smart piece", "Long ways".

They all mean someting different here in Kentucky.

As for big cities---"They aint far enough".

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Maybe more important than distance or time. The GPS should say "enter at your own risk" or "have your carry weapon in the ready position". In reality certain areas of all major cities should have warning signs -NOT A Tourist Recommended ZONE.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.