1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drivers license

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by amboy49, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

As a seller I don't recall being asked to provide a copy of my drivers license until a sale I made to an individual through an FFL dealer last week.

Is this an actual requirement per the FFL regs ? If not my drivers license - some other form of I.D.

I'mused to this as a buyer - just not on the seller's side

Thanks in advance

2. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

0   0   0

If you are making a private sale to an individual thru a dealer, alot of dealers require a copy of your driver's license. They have to have proof where the gun came from when they log it in their A&D book.

My dealer does it this way and has for as long as I can remember.

Oscar

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

You have to be a resident on the state you are purchasing the gun in...

I'd say a D/L is a good check.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I show my driving license to the police.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

0   0   0

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I've always required it to protect myself against handling stolen property. If the gun is used in a crime I would be able to provide info as to where it came from. Also any gun that is received in a place of business requires it to be logged in as inventory and must show where gun came from. Jackie B.

7. trapshootin hippie

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

WHYYYYYY? Cause they generally ask for it.

8. BigM-Perazzi

0   0   0

And you generally do not have to show it. You invite them in for coffee too?

9. trapshootin hippie

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Yep, wif donuts too, cops LOVE donuts ya know.

GneJ

10. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

0   0   0

When I was a kid, back before credit cards when everyone paid with checks my parents took me out to get a new pair of shoes. We lived in a small town and the nearest town with decent shopping was about 60 miles away. We drove there and went to the mall, found a shoe store and a pair of shoes. So we went to pay . . .

My dad didn't carry a wallet, just some cash in his pocket. He kept his drivers license in the glove compartment of the car. My mom had her purse and the checkbook.

My dad is writing the check for the shoes, and because we were from 60 miles away the cashier asked to see my dad's drivers license. I'll never forget his response . . .

"I'm on parole and I'm not allowed to drive".

My mom about fainted and the clerk didn't know what to do. Dad got a good laugh out of it.

Scott

11. BigM-Perazzi

0   0   0

Lol... I just bring it up to show how ingrained some fallacies are.

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Real common request. Just block out your birthdate then nobody can steal identity.

13. BigM-Perazzi

0   0   0

Or, show them your CPL. Instead...

14. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

BigM---Fail to show a cop your driver's license when asked and you will be cited for driving without proof of a valid license. You must then send written proof of your valid license to the court. 8 months later, you will then be informed that you failed to pay the unpublished processing fee ($10) and that your license was suspended two weeks ago. You now have the option to give up driving, or wait at the county court in person for 4 hours to pay a late fee and schedule a court date to plead your case since you failed to pay the fee, and subsequent late fee in time to avoid suspension. You will then have to go to the DMV in person to pay a fee to "release" your license so that it can be re-instated after your court date 3 months away. Finally, at court, you will state that you forgot your license when you were asked to show it, and weren't aware of the processing fee. The judge will say that it happens all the time, re-instate your license, and happily charge you court costs before you leave with your now valid license.

So yes, you can tell the cop you refuse to show him your license and play the fun game above or show him proof of your State-controlled privilege to drive when asked. In a free county, that is your choice.

15. BigM-Perazzi

0   0   0

Mx, you are only required to show a d.l to a Leo when you are within a motor vehicle...or in a place that serves alcohol or if a cpl holder.
    I thought that was clear.
    My point is the fallacy of showing your dl for all id...

16. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

0   0   0

You dont have to show your driver's license, then again, expect to not get what you want if trying to do a firearms transfer. I just dont see the big deal, the Gov't already has your information if you file a tax return, have a credit card etc. You can try living off the grid, but there is always going to be sometihing you need at 1 point or the other and then you will have to come out in the open.

I am all for "Leave me the F*** alone" but lets get real, if you want to drive in ANY state, it is a priviledge, not a right, and your DL is the easiest form of ID you have.

Oscar

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

A state issued ID or drivers license is required with any gun purchase at an FFL place of business. If in your home state(for rifles and shotguns can be out of state) and wish to get a gun which you are selling out of your name to the new owner in a face to face sell you must do it through a FFl dealer and new owner must complete a 4473 while providing a legal picture ID.

18. BigM-Perazzi

0   0   0

Yep.yep.and yep. I directed all my responses toward traphippies leo post.

I believe in the limitations established by law.

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

A friend of mine who's wife is a assistant State attorney says to always be courteous to the officer, show your proper ID (drivers license)when asked for and say nothing else with out an attorney regardless how minor the reason for beings stopped or questioned.

20. BigM-Perazzi

0   0   0

She should read up on the law, don't you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.