1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

driver detective Norton recomends

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bird30, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Do any of you have it on your computer? I installed it on my computer that has XP and it really messed it up. Made the print so small that I could barely read it along with my icons and I could not enlarge it. Norton recomends it and I installed it on my laptop that has windows 7 and it seems to work ok. I then installed on my windows XP and it caused all kinds of problems. Have any of you used it and had problems.

Dave

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Norton products have been reeking havoc on the computer world of late (as have most of the pay to play programs). The worst is yet to come when you see how it slows down your computer (it runs in the back round). The Windows 7 machine should be OK, but the XP machine will become a dog.

I have dumped all the 'pay for service' virus protection and have gone with the free ones - two come to mind MS's own M S Security Essentials, and Avast.

Hope you put a restore point on the machine so you can quickly un-do what you did...

3. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

get rid of Norton; get Avast.
    been there done that.
    dave

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Norton must be getting a kickback from computer manufacturers since they have screwed up so many computers. Suggest you uninstall Norton and install Microsofts's free Security Essentials. I think it will run on XP but not sure. If not, it will let you know. Avast is good too- both it and MSSE have good reputations.

5. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

HSLDS yes I have restore thank the lord that I could restore my XP back to where it was and every thing seems to be OK.

Thank the rest of you for your comments as I appreciate all the help that I can get.

Dave

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had some issues with my AVG. It made my system run very slow. I was told about MS essentials security. Made the change and I'm very pleased. Faster start up makes the computer runs lots faster. The MS security is a free download.

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

MS Security Essentials will run on an XP machine. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials/download)

When you try to down load it you will go through the down load process - when it tries to install you will receive a notice that you need a particular software update to run MSSE - it will cancel the install - BUT it will show you the link to the S/W you need.

Just run that, and then do the install again - a pain I know, but I've not found a way around it, and I keep forgetting to copy the link for the patch you need...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

driver detective norton