1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drive way Snow melt

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

I was thinking about putting some on my drive, I have a concrete driveway, that is 10+ years old, I have heard this stuff can pit, and damage a driveway, has anyone had a similar experience, please let me know, I might take it back to Wal-Mart, if it is going to damage the concrete. Thanks everybody.

2. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

If it has NHCL or salt in it take it back to Wally world. I used something like that stuff and it distroyed new sealed concrete.
    Best of luck
    Fran

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Most will damage concrete, the ones with magnesium chloride or calcuim chloride are the friendliest, regular salt (sodium chloride) is the nastiest. Look at the ingredients on the bag and you guessed it - the CaCL2 or MgCl2 will cost more than NaCl.

Best bet is to put a little of the stuff down and then shovel it off as soon as the ice is freed up a bit.

4. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

DON'T use it unless you want a gravel driveway.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Use fertilizer, it melts the ice and next spring you have a bunch of green grass, been using it for years with no damage to the concrete

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Depends on what we were growing that year, I always clean out the spreaders before we take them back to CO-OP, but 13-13-13 works good, probably don't want to use anything from Home Repo or other places that have any kind of herbicide in them though, just straight fertilizer

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

As to using fertilzer, use straight nitrogen. Careful with it, its a oxidizer! Will rust metal just from the fumes! One prill left alone in a pickup bed will eat right through paint-primer-bed = hole!

Used it for years on concrete sidewalks and steps with no harm done.

buy it from your local feed store, way cheaper the any "ice-melt" on the market

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.