1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drilling Recoil Pads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3200, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3200

3200 TS Member

How does one go about drilling a 'clean' hole for a stock wrench in a recoil pad. Looking at replacing the factory pad on a Beretta with a Pachmayer SC100 sporting pad and would like to retain the ability to remove the stock w/o removing the pad each time to access the stock bolt.

2. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Hole saw.

3. BT99

BT99 Member

Don't laugh at this but it worked. Depending on the size of hole you want. I used a 223 brass rifle case. Put it in the drill press and sharpened the mouth of the case. I used an inside deburring toll. but you could probably use a fine tooth file. Sharpening the mouth makes a hole cutter. After the mouth is sharpened, put the pad on the vise and, turn on the drill and press against the pad.. It will cut the rubber smoothly. But it will not drill through the hard plastic backing on the pad. Reverse the pad and use a regular drill bit to drill through the plastic and then push out the "rubber plug"
    Should have added that before sharpening the mouth of the case, cut off the neck so that you have a straight case.

4. pjh

pjh Member

If you spray a little light oil (like rem oil) on the brass it will even cut better. Also dont cut all the way into the rubber in one pass. go 1/2 way and then finish it. It makes it easier to remobe the plug from the cutter. pjh

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I prefer cutting a small slit in the rubber part of the pad and then applying a small drop of oil to the screw head and push it through the slit. This will produce a nice clean job. A relatively large screw head can be pushed through a rather small slit. Remember to always use Allen head screws. They go in neater and are much easier to remove. I have drilled out plugs as described above but in my opinion, after some use, the line between the plug and the rest of the pad becomes soiled and unsightly.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

drilling recoil pad