1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drilling holes in barrel to slow shot..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Rev posted this a couple of days ago.. I tried it a few years back but did not see any improvement in my pattern on paper..(turkey shoots) have any of you ever done this, if so how many holes were drilled and where should they be on the barrel? here is his post..thanks!

Practical application; shooter in Kokomo made quite a good income by drilling holes in the bottom of his gun barrel so that there was precious little recoil and you could watch the shot travel downrange and absolutely tear the pie plate off the post, using whatever load was given him. The escaping gases were let out more gradually and the returning gases came in more gradually. Hence, almost no recoil

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I don't get the part about almost no recoil but I'm pretty sure that if you did that you would need to put the holes very early in shot travel in the barrel, certainly in the first few inches. Which is why I would not do it, nor would I stand anywhere near anyone who did.

Neil

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I was actually going to enclose the drilled barrel inside a larger piece of DOM tubing, 1 to hide my "trick" gun, 2 to make sure if anything happened it would not do any damage to anything other than the barrel..

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Just remember, you're taking advice from someone who believes that firearm recoil is due to air being drawn into the barrel of the gun at high velocity after the shot/wad leaves the barrel.

If that sound kooky to you (and it is), so does the drilling holes in the barrel idea.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Another case of someone leaving the door open at the insane asylum!

6. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

You want to slow the shotstring down? For you it would work best to remove the primer and powder from all your ammunition, you'll be amazed at the level of recoil reduction.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BTW, you need to remember, every hole you drill in that barrel makes it weaker, and more susceptible to failure.

8. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Nice flute. Can you belt out some Jethro Tull with that?

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Put up with the recoil or go find another sport.

10. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have no problem with the recoil, its a tighter patern I was looking for..

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

cloud, nice cast. Just goes to show almost any bait works on a cloudy day.

HM

12. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

NEED A TIGHTER PATTERN...USE A RIFLE.

13. mag410

mag410 Active Member

If you wait long enough, most any question will get answered.

Late in the last century, 1992 or 1993 I think, a fellow at the Alabama State Shoot was trying to sell a bunch of nice O/U and single barrel trap guns that looked like a Woodpecker with a carbide tipped beak had be at them. Never could figure out what all the holes were about.

This thread is the first thing that I have seen/heard that might explain the ruin of so many fine barrels. Methinks the owner must have been trying to do something similar to what bklcloud wants to do. The holes started just past the fore ends and the barrels looked like Swiss cheese from there on.

Michael Goines

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Drilling holes in the barrel will decrease barrel pressure and slow down the shot. It will also let hot gasses under pressure push out of the holes and burn anything close.

Recoil from air rushing into the barrel after the shot is fired-- that makes absolutely no sense and it would also require a high pressure area (the barrel) to magically become a vacuum just after the wad leaves the barrel.

Pat Ireland

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Common practice among card shooters to reduce pressure in looong barrels. Used for tight tight patterns in specialty events. Not suggested for trap shooting.

Jim

16. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

FACT: If you can afford a new barrel, purchase one right now before you start with any of the projects previously mentioned in this thread.

Or send your barrel to a professional like Jim Eyster http://jimeyster.com/ and leave the thinking to a real artisan!

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

17. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I actually sold a Bridgeport to a guy who builds shotguns that are over 8 feet long, they use them in indoor card shoots..

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

He is going to shoot at CARD SHOOTS not trap.

He will be given the shell he is to shoot by management no reloads .

All shells are the same (the same) Win AA 7 1/2 1 1/8 OZ (MOST OF THE TIME)

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Also need something around 090 constriction. Theory goes the reduced pressure reduces deformation of the pellets as they align going throug the choke.

20. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

you could put one of those flappers on the end of the barrel, like on diesels,,,

when you shoot it would close behind the shot and keep air from going back into the barrel.:)

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does vasiline down a gun barrel help keep a tighter patern

drilling holes in a shot gun barrel

what about the hole on barrel of a perazzi shotgun