1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drilling hole in Gooey pad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dward, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dward

dward Member

What's the best way to drill a "clean" hole through a gooey pad for the pad adjustment nut. I think the 100 straight folks said they used a dremmel stone of some sort for their pads.....but curious what works best for a gooey??

I've got a good grinder to shape the pad and plan to put fit one on my adjustable pad plate.

Thanks - Big Dan

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can always Freeze it

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You might try cutting instead. Take a spent centerfire pistol/rifle cartridge of the right hole diameter. Sharpen the very edge of the case mouth. Then put the pad on a hard surface and hammer the case down spinning it ever so slightly as you tap the case. It will remove the material as a plug. Works for leather and homemade gaskets. A regular drill bit will not work. It will make a jagged hole that will never be perfectly round.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Stick it in the freezer before grinding or drilling and the end results will be much better.

ss

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Take a rifle or pistol case and chamfer the inside until the edge is very sharp. Chuck the case in a drill press and spin it (500 rpm). It will cut a nice hole.

Some pads have a metal plate. Use a drill to cut through it.

Jim Skeel

6. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

You will have to drill out the back of the pad ( the plastic part )use a drill bigger then the hole you are putting in the front. After drilling the back use a sharp awl to push thru from the back to mark the front. Use the sharpened shell casing in a drill press with some oil to lube the casing and drill down thru the pad.

7. dward

dward Member

Thanks for the feedback......I was thinking along the lines of a very small hole saw, and the shell casing sounds like a plan. I'll have to sort through my spent brass to see what I have. A 30-06 is probably the smallest diameter that will be long enough as I'm getting the 1-1/4 pad. I'm assuming you need to cut the shell off below the neck/shoulder?

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

or a stright wall case,,, .30 carbine 45-70 ,, 450 bushmaster,, i used to use copper pipe sharpend and heated with propane ,, to cut holes in tail light lenses for Blu Dots

9. pitt4570

pitt4570 Member

the 30 carbine case works or 223 use a little oil on it so it does not tear

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

dward , A dremmel type tool would probably work as they are very high speed. A "hole saw" as you mention would have to be a forstner bit. In a drill you will probably tear up the pad. Stick with the hollow tube idea's being mentioned.

11. high 2

high 2 Member

Good luck grinding it. It`s about like grinding a flem ball. Drill the hole with a tube as above. Use Armour All for the lube. If it gets hot and tacky drilling, you`ll wad the whole pad up. Larry

12. bgf

bgf Active Member

Why not do it like old school...no unsightly hole in pad. Locate the center of the screw you wish to access by way of an awl from the back side of pad. Use an exacto knife and cut a + or cross in the pad all the way to the screw/allen. Bingo...you have accessibility without the unsightly hole. Use vaseline on the screwdriver/allen wrench when making adjustments. I learned this in smithing school back in the '80s. Still using it today. Very very cool...

Bernie

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bernie's method is best!! If you do drill with a sharpened tube, slow is much better than fast. Fast will melt and you'll have a total mess on your hands!

Hap

14. dward

dward Member

Bernie and Hap,

I like that idea. As I'm getting a 1-1/4 inch pad to get length of pull where I want it, I think I'll drill the hole through the bottom and then up about half way through the pad, and then cut the X from the top down after marking with an awl.

Great ideas all - Thanks - Dan

15. quartering

quartering Active Member

heat up a big nail until it's glowing red and then just push it on through the pad

16. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

What I did was get a steel tube the OD size of the hole you want. Take a file or dermal file the inside of the tube all the way around. Now you have a nice sharp edge. Then put the tube in a drill with some oil on the tube and on the pad.
    Push the drill down slow and start the drill it will cut though the pad. Pull out the drill and rod and the core of the hole will be in the tube.
    The install the pad. If you want. Take the core that was in the tube and push it back in the hole after you install the pad and cut off the extra with a razer blade. Now you have a nice clean finish looking pad.

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Dan-o. I usee a cartridge.. Rill the platic from th back wht a bit somewhat larer than the bullet casing. Dril a smallhole directly thru to mark the hole. I cut sharpened nicks into the case edge and then inserted inot my drill andlubed the spot and drill thru. But all good ideas above. I have an old gooey you can practice on ifyou can wait till Saturday.

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You don't even need a "X" cut, a straight cut will do. Spray some WD40 on your screwdriver or what ever your using. It will slide right trough the slit, and you'll never know there was a hole.

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I guess the real question is how are you going to get the hole in the pad to match up with the pad adjuster mechanism. I take these things apart all the time and invariably have to loosen the pad.

20. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

MIA is right, if you have one of the pad adjusters that moves over and up and down and twists you can't get a straight shot at the screw or bolt all the time so you have to have a pretty good sized hole or take the pad off.

I must not have a very good freezer because I've tried freezing a gooey pad and it thaws out before I can get any work done. Sharpening a fired case and spinning it in a hand drill works good for me without trying to freeze anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.