1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drilling a hole in a Kick_Eez recoil pad

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mikepacific60, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikepacific60

mikepacific60 Member

Does anybody have a method of drilling a neat hole through a Kick-Eez recoil pad (the soft rubber bit)?
    I want to drill an extra hole so I can put the stock tool through the pad, rather than removing the pad every time - drilling through with a normal drill bit leaves a ragged hole.
    I have in the past (when using a thin pad) punched a hole with a leather punch, but this pad is about an inch thick, so that won't work....Thanks Michael

2. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

some guys use a sharpened ( sharpened on the inside neck ) cartridge case or a Hole cutter by turning it ( However turning it ?? ) I personally drill thru the Hard part and then I use a Hot wire about 11 Ga. and I burn thru the soft part, then as soon as it burns thru you quickly swirl it around to the desired size and wipe off the excess while it is still hot.

3. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Freeze it?

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I use a piece of brass tube from the local hobby shop. Sharpen one end and spin it with a drill. I use a bit of water for a coolant and lube. Drill thru the base with a regular bit first and the tube will make a nice neat hole.

Jim

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would freeze it. It might be hard to get a clean cut. I wonder if there is a tool that removes a plug rather than a drill that simply bulls its way through the material. I don't think hole saws come that small.

Interesting problem.

HM

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The brass tube tool is what I use. I sharpen it on the INSIDE by applying a countersink bit into one end so that the inner surface of the tool flares out instead of tapering the outer surface of the tube IN, (which is easier but causes problems when the tube reaches the hard recoil pad backing).

Morgan

7. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

A 30-06 case works great. If you have a drill press, just chuck it up and drill through the soft part of the pad. Once you reach the hard backing stop and use a 1/2 inch forstner bit and drill from the underside to finish the hole.

Chad

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Mark the pad and put it in a bowl of water and freeze everything for about a day. When frozen solid chip away the ice and drill.

Eric

9. bill2

bill2 Member

When the cutting procedure is complete do you then plug the hole or leave it open? R/Bill

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Leave it open!....Bob Dodd

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

You've just made 2 perfect plugs; use them if you like the look!

Morgan

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

When I decided to put a new KickEez pad on my G-Squared I reized that I needed to cut a 5/8" hole in the pad. I bored out a piece of 5/8" 12L14 with a boring bar on the lathe until the wall was about .020" thick. Then I cut a 45 degree chamfer on the inside to sharpen the end. I used the cutter in the drill press (probably 100 or 200 rpm) to cut the sorbathane. I first drilled a hole in the hard plastic with 5/8 spade bit and then cut the sorbathane from the hard palstic side with a piece of rubber under the pad so there would be something to support the sorbathane as the cutter broke through. The resulting sorbathane plug fits tightly in the hole as no material is removed in the cutting process.

Jim Skeel

13. mikepacific60

mikepacific60 Member

Thanks eveyone, Regards Michael

14. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I have an old set of cork borers. They work great. similar to the brass tube

cutter described earlier. Chemistry lab supply house should have them.

. Also good for plumbing electrical wire through rubber grommets oncars.

UPDATE....JUST FOUND A SET ON EBAY FOR 5.99!

see link above. Good luck

Joe

15. tomk2

tomk2 Member

I just tossed mine in the freezer for a few hours, took it out to the garage and drilled right through it. Worked well enough.

16. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you drill it you have a hole. If you cut it out with a piece of lubricated tubing in a drill press, you can reinstall the "plug" for a neat and unnoticeable access port.

Ed Yanchok

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

YOU DON'T DRILL IT!! You punch it, dammit. Not rocket science...sheesh.

Tron

18. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

piddle has obviously never done a decent job on anything

19. jbshep

jbshep Member

A paper drill works for me. Like is used to "punch" holes in many sheets of paper. It is essentially a 1/4" sharpened metal tube.

20. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I'm the guy who does the .30-06 case and Forstner bit method that Chad described above. Been doing it that way for a long time, did 5 or 6 today. Keep the case mouth sharp and use a little Armor All for lube.

Ken Rucker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.