1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drill Press advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Never had one but am at the point where I need one. I dont know what to look for or avoid. I will be doing smaller jobs with some wood and metal, nothing heavy. I see a Sears 10" floor model with lazer guide that looks like it would work. Any help appreciated. ( also do I need a drill press table while I am buying one?)

2. cubancigar2000

Thx - Semper Fi

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

There is a lot of junk out there in drill presses. I suggest you watch Craigslist for a good used one in a better brand name. Many cheap drill presses are underpowered and not much more accurate than hand drilling. A drill press is not a device you want bottom of the barrel on.

Oh yea, watch things like throat depth and drilling depth. A lot of cheap presses have little depth between the spindle and the floor, limiting what size item you can drill, and don't drill down very far, limiting how deep you can drill.

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Stay away from Sears. The newer ones are JUNK. Now if you are lucky enough to find a 1950 through the 60's your doing good. Heavy and well built. Older Rockwell and Delta are good drill presses. Check your local Craigslist and local paper and auctions. I have a 1950 something Craftman and it weights a ton but is a solid built drill press.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If I was to replace my 40 year old B&D I would go with a Grizzly G7943 bench top model. It has a 14" swing (spindle to column), 3/4 HP, 12 speed, and a 5/8 chuck. Cost is $315 plus shipping.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wireguy and auctioneer are correct.

You don't need to go buy a new one if your usage is occasional home hobby stuff.

I personally have an old one that I paid 50 bucks for, it was a 3/4 inch chuck bench model that had the standpipe changed to a longer one so it's a floor model. It suits my needs perfectly. Someone even put a steering wheel on in place of the triple spoke thing.

HM

7. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

If you could find yourself an old Atlas bench model 14" you would be doing yourself a favor. I have had one for about 40 years and prior to that my Grandfather owned it, have never had any problems. And it has the original bearings.

Chuck

8. oz

oz Active Member

you need POWER if you want to drill in steel. the 1/4 HP units don't cut it. cheap is just that. the cheap ones come with a 1/2" chuck. If you put a 1/2" drill bit in it and try to drill in steel it won't work. spend some money and you will be glad you did.

9. cubancigar2000

Thx, sounds like real good advice. I was leaning towards the Sears because it has the Lazer Guide but I see I can buy that attachment for most any press. The Grizzly looks like a deal but shipping is $79. Dont know if I could find something local. I may just watch Craigslist

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Watch Craigslist and some of the machinists forums for an oldie but goodie. Many old Deltas and Clausings show up there.

11. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I have a new Delta 18-900L 18-Inch laser drill press. I use it for woodworking. It is an OK press, but workmanship is poor. I have never used the laser for anything, it just isn't accurate enough. I woould look around and buy one of the old presses. They are getting hard to find, but nice to work with. If the press is not of high qualiy, it is almost worthless for accurate drilling.

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I can't add much to the above, except if you buy a small one, in the future, you will wish you had a bigger one.

Most of the cheapies have sloppy spindles and as stated are mostly junk.

If you are in no big hurry look for an old used one.

Regards....Gerald

13. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lou

Craigs list add

Free standing drill press. it is mounted on top of 3 one ton vehicle wheels welded together. It weights approx 200 lbs. It is in excellent working condition. Its a Chicago Power Tools, 5 speed from 570 rpm to 2600 rpm, 5/8 inch chuck with a 1/2 hp. Will trade for good condition generator, air compressor, set of four 215/70R/15 mud and snow wheels and tires for a 84 Ford Ranger 4 x 4 pickup, running small engines, wood working tools or 3/4 Ton pickup bed utility trailer.

Price: $175.00
    If interested please contact Don at 208-590-0835. No E-mails please. Thanks for looking.

dougbbbb_2010_1606407.jpg

14. blaster

blaster Member

Lou try and find one with three adjustable pulleys. You want to be able to slow those little drills down.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Try Harbor Freight they have an assortment of them from, good, better, best ... I sold one that I had bought from there and got more for it after having it for 10 years than I paid for it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

In my opinion a good used, older, Delta or Rockwell 14 inch floor model is far better than any of the new chinese made imports. Better yet if you can find one with a wet table.

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Sears is junk these days. As far as new is concerned, I think the delta is one of the better products out there. I think lasers are about useless on a press by the way, unless you want to really screw stuff up.

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

As said Rockwell Delta, Powermatic, Walker Turner, Atlas etc

And Tron is right the laser is a joke

But if you have the room look for a Bridgeport mill, they are almost all 3 phase but with the new inverter drives you can make 3 ph out of single for about $100, and a Bridgeport is soooooooo handy to have around

19. Auctioneer

As a machinest told me "Stay away from the imports and buy only the USA made drill press and all bit's". The USA made presses are far better made then any of the imports. Like I said before, look for an older unit and you will be happy that you did. Watch Craigslist, yard sales and auctions of all kind.

Here is some help. www.auctionzip.com I have found some good auctions from time to time. Put in your zip code and the mile you wish to look in. Click on the day of the auction and then look to see if they have pic's of the sale. I don't look unless they do have pic's. Let us know what you find and what you get.

20. Auctioneer

Also look at your local school, college, county, city auctions. Just google the sale for your area. Some of those are good and some are bad. Just know what your doing and looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.