1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drill bit suggestion please!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a project that I am in the midst of and need a #36 drill bit that can bore through some VERY hard steel. I've never seen steel this hard. Nothing that I have will even leave a mark on it. I will also need a 6-32 tap because I'm sure the ones that I have wont leave a mark on this stuff either.

Any ideas??? Suggestions???

2. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

If it's that hard you can't drill it's to hard to tap also.

3. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Take it to a machine shop that has a sinker EDM and they can burn the hole and thread it also. Bird Grinder is right if its that hard no tap will work but you can get a carbide drill and do the hole then take it to some one with a sinker EDM to burn the threads in it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Tron,

Try some Cobalt bits. Use some cutting oil while drilling.

Easystreet

5. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Tron,carbide may be the answer.Don't know what your drill speed RPM is.
    Try slowing the RPM down.Needless to ask you don't know what the grade of steel is.Could it be stainless?

Bocephas

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It might just be hard on the surface. Try breaking through with a conical grinding bit. HMB

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

you could always get the piece annealed, and re hardened, a carbide drill might work, but I would stay away from the carbide taps..$$$, and they chip out by just looking at them too hard.

OSG, makes some good taps with coatings to get through hard stuff, just depends how hard it is.

an industrial tool supplier will have them in stock, or can get you one in a day. expect to pay $10 to $18 for a good tap.

tony

8. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

Carbide HI-rock drill is the way to go. you can get them through Travers Tool or MSC. They look kind of like a gun drill two straight flutes. You'll need all the luck in the world to tap it and then some more luck,if it's hardened.your weclomce Lou

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I would agree that carbide bitss are the way to go

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Tron, if its stainless you might have a very hard alloy like valve or tool type stainless. Is it magnetic? If it is, its probably a 300 series type stainless and machinable. If its non-mag it has nickel in it, and probably a 400 series, and most are machinable. However some 400 series like 440 (razor steel) are very, very hard. Good luck, Wayne

11. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

EDM would be the best way.

Tron You do not know the kind of alloy you are dealing with. Some will work harden on your butt while you try to cut it. Inconel will get very hard quick if it gets hot while drilling or turning.

There are so many exotic alloys out there and hardly any information on how to work them. And a hole that small in very hard metal is about impossible to drill
    by hand. Maybe in a vise on a mill but even that is a bit#h.

And then you have to put the wrinkles in it.

Rock

Jim

12. M-16

M-16 TS Member

What is the piece used for, does it have to be hardend when done? If not you can anneal it. Heat it to a orangish color and slowly let it cool

13. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Tron it could be a number of different tool steels there are tons out there some are A2,D2,H21,M4 and P20 they are all very tuff when hardened when I have to machine D2 or P20 I know I am in for a long night. Trying to drill a hole that small in something that hard is like pissing in the wind. The sinker EDM is the only way to go if you can find one.

14. JEB

JEB Active Member

Do a simple test -- can you file it? If not, forget about drilling and tapping. 400 series stainless are magnetic and most can be heat treated. You will just break drills and taps. EDM is the answer, but you will find out that it will be an expensive hole.

JEB

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Joe, are you drilling thru a diameter, or on a flat?
    Sounds like steel that's been heat treated. You'd have to have it annealed back before anything short of carbide or diamond will cut it. Tapping it in that condition is probably not feasable.

show us a picture!!....

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Sounds like stellite. Depending on what and where it goes.. I'd use a diamond drill that oversized. the make a round insert and locktite it in place.. If all you need is a 6X32 thread.. you'll break the screw before you pull a 5/16 locktited sleeve out..

17. Stuart

Stuart Member

Tron, If you EDM the hole you still will not get a tap to cut the threads. If you drill with carbide you still won't be able to tap.
    A trick I use on hardened receivers or allready hardened steel is, Get a 12 volt battery and a air-arc rod. You can use heavy jumper cables. Sharpen the end of the air-arc rod like a pencil, hook up the cables to the work and the rod. Put the point of the rod on the exact spot you are going to drill. It will get red hot in a hurry. wear good gloves. Once red, remove the rod and let cool. You will be able to drill,tap the hole. No need to re heattreat because you just annealed a spot.
    A old Indian tought me that trick.
    Stu

18. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Surely there's a real gunsmith on here who knows how to drill and tap?

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Dednlost, that was not Tron's question.......

PBB, stellite, or any form of cobalt, would be a bugger for sure....

20. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Are you attempting to drill a Ruger Mini-14 receiver for a sidemount scope?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.