1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

dried beef or dried deer(not jerky)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by duke76, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke76

duke76 Member

I am looking for a recipe to make dried deer or beef, I have looked all over and cannot find anything besides jerky, I'm talking the stuff you make s--t on a shingle with. I am sure you have to use some sort of preservative like tenderquick or something with sodium nitrite or nitrate and have to brine it and then smoke it, thanks, Todd

2. 333t

333t Member

Commercial dried beef is quite salty and appears to be just dried, not smoked. Some SOS recipes advise rinsing or soaking the meat prior to use to get rid of some of the salt. My bet would be that you would use mainly salt, either brine or dry rub, and then cure in a smoker with heat only and no smoke.

Phil

3. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

duke,
    Do an internet word search for Biltong or try www.3men.com/biltong

Biltong is the african version of jerky,kinda, only it is not smoked nor heated but dried. Recipe & drier instructions are on that website.
    Biltong be good eating!!!

Mike

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

There are some really good books on the subject of meat curing. I have one titled "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas. I suggest going to the library where you will find this and other books on the subject. I do a lot of curing, smoking and canning and find a lot of good info on the net also. Be advised that smoking does not make meat safe from spoil. It has to be cured

5. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I had a neighbor once that would take a deer roast and put it in a crock type of container and it had a solution he soaked it in for about two weeks, the only ingredients that I can remember, were lots of tender quick salt, brown sugar and honey, I am sure there were others. This was the best meat I ever ate. You could just cut a chunk of meat off and eat it. There was no cooking or smoking involved. The meat would not freeze either, it would stay pliable in the freezer. Hopefully some one will come up with the reciepe on here.

6. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

For Dried Deer (cured and smoked) a deer round, loin (backstrap), or sirloin would be best. Use a salt brine (as used for hams) mix according to weight of meat. Pump brine into meat (hand brine pumps can be purchased on-line or larger hardware stores). Smoke with Hickory or wood chip flavor of your choice at about 170 to 200 degrees for about 8-12 hours until inner temp. reaches about 145 to 155 degrees. Cool and slice thin.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use "Sweeter Seasoning" to do what kevin describes. I buy it from a neighbor but it is online also. Works well for fish or any meat

8. duke76

duke76 Member

thanks guys, are you talking, sweeter than sweet from LEM, also could I put it in a plastic bucket instead of a crock, Thanks Todd

9. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I used to work in a locker plant........shooten sue has the correct method for dried beef.

you can use one of those big needles to inject the brine.

tony

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I don't get what you are after, If you want plain dried beef use a dehydrator,smoker or your oven rack on the lowest temp with the oven door open slightly for the amount of hours needed to achieve the dryness you are looking for.

Jerky means=dried meat. There are many recipes.

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

dryed beef is more like the packaged budding beef you get at the grocery.

actually, like a smoked ham, not as dry as jerky.

tony

12. duke76

duke76 Member

Thanks, I think shootin sues version is the one I am after thanks, Todd

13. ShootinSue

For the moist dried deer/beef that you can shave, the receipe I listed above works best. I have worked at locker plants for 25 years, 2000 deer plus a year, and that receipe has never failed. Just make sure the inner temp. reaches around 145 to 155.
    Sue

14. duke76

duke76 Member

sue, what is the best kind of brine to use and how do you know if you have enough in it, and not to much, I am assuming it will make it salty if you get to much in there, is it better to inject it or can you just soak it in the brine and if you just soak it how long, and can you do this in a plastic pail, Thanks Todd

15. ShootinSue

Todd, any salt brine will work. It generally comes in powder form which you would mix so many Tablespoons into water per pound of meat. Any store which carries a large selection of seasonings should carry a salt brine mix, or if you have a local locker/butcher shop, they should have some you can purchase. Check on-line too, it isn't expensive. Sue

16. duke76

duke76 Member

Well fellas I got this figured out, there are a couple ways you can do this, you can either use Mortons tender quick or a product called sweeter than sweet, it also works for making hams and curing bacon, you put your roast or loin or whatever lean piece of meat you want to use and you can either soak it in the brine and turn it every day for a week, longer if it is very thick, specific directions are on the cure you are using, in a plastic bucket or earthen crock, make sure you keep it in the 38- 40 degree range, too cold and the brine wont penetrate and to warm you can have bacteria problems, or you can inject with a marinading needle or brine pump, make sure you get it all injected or when you slice it you will see where the cure did not penetrat, it is better to let it soak to long rather than not long enough because that wont hurt a thing, if you mix it the way the directions say, I dont think it is possible to get to much in it, and then it will only take a couple days, then put it in your smoker or oven or whatever your heat source is and start at 160. for a couple of hours then raise the temp 20 degrees every hour until internal temp reaches 150-160 degrees, slice thin and enjoy, let me know how it turns out if you try it and if you have any questions, Todd

17. sasquach

sasquach Active Member

For a piece about the size of a der backstrap,mix a quanity of brine large enough to cover, and soak for 24 hours. Brine should be made from kosher or pickiling salt (no iodine) and either bottled or distilled water (no chlorine). The old people just put it in a muslin bag and hung it behind the stove to dry. They dried it a lot more than what you buy in the store today. I've heard my dad tell about taking a piece of dried beef to the wood shop and either using a wood plane or a draw knife to slice it thin. Mix enough salt in the brine so that an egg will float. If you use beef,be sure to get the leanest cut you can find. Trim ALL fat off. soak longer if you use a larger piece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how much dried beef from hindquarter deer