1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Drag Racing has lost a good one

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

JAMES EDWARD "JIM HULLINGER, 86, of Bunker Hill, passed away on Monday, Jan. 23, 2012, at North Woods Village, Kokomo. Born July 30, 1925, in Howard County, he was the son of the late Clarence and Francis (Cooper) Hullinger. He married Mary Matt (Crenshaw) on Oct. 18, 1045; she preceded him in death on Aug. 18, 2002. He graduated from Clay Township High School in 1943 and served in the U.S. Army from 1944 to 1946. He was a pioneer in the drag racing industry. He founded and operated the Bunker Hill Drag Strip from 1956 to 1997. The track was the first permanent drag racing facility in Indiana which continues to run today as one of the oldest facilities in the country. Highlighting his many contributions to the sport, he innovated roller platforms dubbed "Safe-Start" that replaced the sometimes dangerous and time consuming practice of having to push start dragsters in the 1960's and 1970's. Parts of design were patented and nearly 40 units were installed at major race facilities across the country. He also worked at Continental Steel and Syndicate Sales. He enjoyed all forms of racing and was a leading stock car and modified racer at Kokomo and Warsaw Speedways in the 1950's. After retirement, his pace slowed a bit as he enjoyed his Model-T that Jim, Harold Myers and his friends rebuilt. He was a member of Bunker Hill Masonic Lodge 683, Scottish Rite, Murat Shrine, the Izaak Walton Wabash Chapter, and the Model-T Club of America. Surviving are his daughter, Janet (Bill) Frank of Plainfield, Ind.; sons, Ike (Jan Rouch) of Fort Wayne and Jay (Debbie) of Bunker Hill; brothers, Don (Joan) of Kissimmee, Fla. and Dale (Janice) of LaFontaine, Ind.; sisters, Georgianna (Johnny) Myers of Bunker Hill, Mildred (Eldon) Miller and Doris Moss, both of Galveston, Ind.; five grandchildren, Chris (Richelle) Frank, Stephanie (Paul) Chiodo, Jason (Crystal) Frank, Jessica (Mark) Metcalf, Jillian (Todd) Bellaw; and seven great-grandchildren. He was also preceded in death by his sons, Mike and Jerry. Funeral service is 11 a.m. Monday, Jan. 30, 2012, at Allen Funeral Home, 136 South Elm St., Bunker Hill, Ind. Pastor Paul Sutherland officiating. friends may call from 2 to 6 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012, at the funeral home. Burial will follow service in Galveston Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations to Racers for Christ or D.R.A.W. (Drag Racing Association of Women).
    Published

2. MR870

MR870 Member

I was born at Bunker Hill AFB-Grissom AFB while my dad was stationed there as a B-58 jet engine tech in 1966.Before I showed up ,my dad said the drag strip was someplace to go and have fun.Deepest condolences to the Hullinger family.

3. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Never heard of the guy. But, yes, it seems every sport has "lost a good one" lately. And, he sounds like he was a good one....

RIP, Jim. Hope you are winning at the big drag-strip in the sky.

Mikey

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

MR870, I was born not far from there. I also grew up attending the races

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.