1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DR XXl orange wad load problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Quack Shot, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The solution would be to go back to the 12S0 or clone. I had issues with the XXL wads also. I won't be trying them again soon. You might try calling Kevin at Downrange. He'd probably have a better idea, since he's the one that told me the XXL Orange would replace the 12S0 directly. It might, provided you could get it loaded right.

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I am a Downrange Dealer. Try 30 pounds of wad pressure. That will collapse the top X and give you room for the shot.

Matt

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Matt,

Been there, tried that, along with a host of other tips and tricks. It's not worth the trouble when I gan get a 12S0 or clone that works with no extra fuss.

4. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

These downrange wads are supposed to be the cat's meow but I'm not smart enough to make them work in my old PW.I have tried a couple of different ones and I'm back to the claybusters and that's where I'm going to stay!They are mighty cool looking little jewels.I had no problems selling the 4900 that I had left so some people must like them.I DON'T!!

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

While I can't speak for the orange XXL... The pink XXL with 18 grains of Promo in a federal throw away hull with 1oz of #8's works perfect for me..

6. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I have loaded thousands of the Estates using the Orange XXL wad. My 800+ makes them indistinguishable from factory. I use 1 oz of 8's and 18.2 gr. of Promo. Perfection. The shot does stand higher in the hull prior to crimping than a AA or Gun Club with the same powder and shot loading using a DRA-12 Pink wad, but no problem.

HBT

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

When I loaded them on my 800C.. I used a little more starter crimp.. and dropped the final crimp plunger down a tad.. that has resulted in just about everything I load looking factory perfect on my 800C and 800 plus.. As 1 oz. is the heaviest I load on a 800.. it seems to be my answer for 24 gram/7/8oz.. and 1 oz.. Today.. I change nothing and load all.. I do not know if it would work with 1 1/8oz.. as the few I load I do on a Pacific 266..

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I love Down Range wads and use them exclusively but I ended up giving away two bags for the orange XXL's because I could never make them work or sound right. The plastic just felt a lot different than other DR wads and I got more poofs than bangs. Fellow who took the bags ended up throwing away most of them cause he couldn't make them work either. I did call Kevin at DR and we talked about the problem, he offered some good advice but it just was not worth the trouble messing with the reloaders when there were other wads out there that worked better.
    We were trying to use them in Top Gun & Estate hulls, both of us were using MEC Grabber and 9000 presses.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I had the same problem with the wads using 19 Grains of Promo, could not use them, gave the wads away, went back to 12SO.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

The wal-mart federal hulls are the worst to load. Through them away. I have load several of the estate hulls and they do a much better job. Toss the wal-mart hulls..Tim....I also sell these wads and think they are great with the right hull and load data. Sometimes you have to rely on yourself to get it right and a chrono helps...Tim

11. DanLee

DanLee Member

The XXL wads (pink and orange) are best reserved for shot charges of 7/8 oz or less, no matter what they advertise. Going heavier is just asking for trouble. Try the XL-1 for a more positive experience.

Dan

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have loaded 55 gallon drums of Top guns and such. :^)

I use the Claybuster 12SO clone for 24 gram Skeet and Bunker Busters, and the CB 3118-12AR Red 8 wad for one ounce Sporting and Trap loads. No problem. Load 'em twice, and away they go.

I did not like and will not buy any more Downrange wads.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A notable abortion from DR.

I like the Neon Green 1 oz fine. I was given some orange and after a2 boxes sent them on.

Win some lose some.

HM

14. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I to had problems with the Orange XXL wad with anything above 7/8 oz. When the 3000 I have left are gone, no more. I prefer the Original windjammer yellow wads for everything, except 1 1/8 oz. BRGII

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dokter xxl

dr xxl orange

dr xxl wad

xxl orange wads