1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DR XL1 1/8 reloading data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have looked up the data and it isn't there on either Downrange or Alliant's website. I have also sent an email to Alliant, but while I am waiting I thought I would ask just in case someone has the same reloading components and has gotten the answer from Alliant.

Components:

STS hull

Chedditte primers (from the research they resemble W209)

Promo Powder

DR XL1 1/8 wad

1 1/8 oz shot

2. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Downrangemfg.com
    If its not on the site u can ask Kevin at downrange I think theres a link to where u can email him or call

3. Bama73

Bama73 Member

The DRXL-1 1/8 uses WAA12 data according to Alliant. Tho I don't see any Cheddite or Winchester primer data, there are loads listed with the Fed 209, CCI 209M and Rem 209p. I would wait for a response from Ben at Alliant to see which would be a safe substitute tho.

4. Calkidd

Bama I agree. I saw all that information. I did run the data using AA hulls and got WIN209 data. But how much different are the AA hulls compared to the STS?

5. Bama73

Bama73 Member

From what I have seen in various data, I would not substitute AA/win 209 data with STS/cheddites if it was me personally. That's just too many variables for me. Some loads run more pressure in the STS, other more in the AA all other things being equal. The only thing I could say would be safe is using the STS/Fed 209 data with your Cheddites as the Fed 209 is the hottest primer of them all as far as I know. And only then if the load pressure listed is under 10,000 psi. I am a better safe than sorry kinna person tho. Ben should get back to you in a day or so, and if not give him a call and I'm sure he'll gladly lead you on the right path.

6. Calkidd

I agree that the variables are too much. I will try to call Kevin at DR also. Thanks for the help.

Bryan

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bryan... I load XL-1 wads in my STS hulls using the same components you are EXCEPT I only load Promo in my 1oz. singles and doubles loads. Pressures run too high for me when trying to push it to 11/8oz. using the XL1 wad. Loads that run around 1150fps generate pressures well over 10,000psi, and you can't get a promo load that runs 1200fps for handicap without going over 11,000 with the components you are using. You can switch primers to a Rem and get some lower pressures, however, that being said, there are many other combinations that will work much better than promo does. I, personally, load promo for singles and doubles with 1oz. and the Jammer XL 1oz. wad. For handicap, I load 22gr Green Dot with the XL1 11/8oz wad and have no pressure concerns and I get great patterns with it...... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I emailed Ben at Alliant and his reply to me was that the Cheditte was interchangeable with the win209, rem209p and cci 209.

I load 19 gr green dot STS or Nitro hull, Downrange Blue 1 1/8 load for short handicap, very nice load.

9. Calkidd

Thanks for the information. The primer substitution is a huge help.

10. Calkidd

11. Calkidd

12. Calkidd

Got the email back and I was told to use rem primer for data. With that a 1200 fps load is 10,300 psi. I know some don't like it that high but I am comfortable with that load.

13. Calkidd

I also asked Ben from Alliant about chamber pressure. It appears that some cringe at the thought of having chamber pressue over 10k psi and avoid it at all cost.

His reply:

<i>The max psi for the 12 ga 2 3/4 and 3 inch is 11,500 psi over a 10 shot average. There is nothing wrong with pressures in the 10's.</I>

14. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Calkidd, check your PM

15. Calkidd

Got it thanks.

Bryan

16. Calkidd

Well I got some interesting news here folks. I really don't think I should keep this under my hat for the safety of others who might be viewing this thread or loading this type of hull.

I had these loads tested from a reputable company and the results I received were staggering. Remember I asked a powder company how I should load these and I was told to use the Rem 209P recipes for the Cheddite primers.

The results of the tested rounds are the same as what I have described here with 18.3 grains of promo with an average crimp depth of .058". After a 5 shot string the rounds average OVER 12,000 psi @ 1230 FPS. The recipe I was told to use shows 10,300 psi @ 1200 fps.

My jaw dropped and had no idea the pressure would rise exponentially like that and why. Well, I was also told that Cheddite are hotter than Remington's thus explaining the extra fps and chamber pressure. Here's what I don't get. Why was I told to use the Remington primer recipes when the Remington primers are colder? Doesn't it stand to reason that I may want to follow the recipes of a hotter primer thus giving me a margin for error?

I am a little upset because I have loaded over 500 of these rounds for the State shoot coming up. I don't have time to disassemble all of those rounds and reload those hulls with something like Green Dot. I used all of what I had left in shot to load these rounds. So therefore I am going to have to buy a couple of flats.

Lesson learned, but I am a little disappointed in the information I got from the powder company.

Bryan

calkidd_2008_030325.jpg

17. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Check PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.