1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DR Versalite Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Quack Shot, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

23.4 grains of PB is a fairly bulky powder charge. I used to use PB with the old Hornady Versalites and found that sometimes a little more wad pressure was required to get a flat crimp. It seems like the Downrange" wad is a bit "stiff" when compared to an older one. I usually try to keep wad pressure below about 40 pounds or so, but sometimes a little more might be required when loading some powders. That's just the way it is. I've also seen that some types of hulls are more prone to this trouble. If you tried some Green STS hulls, do they do the same thing? My wad pressure indicator barely moves with most loads. I try to turn the shell when the ram is all the way down. If the shells turns easily, it needs a touch more pressure.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

AL_Maxey

I'm sure Kevin at Downrange Mfg would have some insight if you are still having trouble. There is a contact form on the "become a retailer" link on their website. Link is above. Kevin's contact info: Kevin Lewis 402-463-3415 or email at sales@downrangemfg.com. Kevin is a good guy and is a wealth of information.

I've had some trouble with some Nitro's being a bit "soft" at the crimp when compared to other hulls. That's why I asked if you tried a different Remington hull. If it works in an STS or Gun Club, that could be the issue. It could show up when a stiff wad were used, like the Versalite. I wouldn't worry about using a bit more wad pressure, provided you don't go much over 60 or 80 pounds at the highest. I'd also make sure the crimps are deep enough. I usually try to get between .050" and .060" for most loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.