1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Strangelove

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by School Teacher, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

O/T - Dr. Strangelove

Does anybody remember the movie Dr. Strangelove?

With the Ruskie’s announcing a new ICBM capable of penetrating any defense and all of the war movies on the tube over the Memorial Day weekend, I was motivated to watch this old classic again. Great movie!

If you have never seen Dr. Strangelove, it is film about the cold war and you will laugh yourself silly at some of the dialogue. The film is MASH and STRIPES on steroids. It also has an outstanding cast.

Peter Sellers plays three characters: Dr. Strangelove, RAF Group Commander Lionel Mandrake and US President Merkin Mufferley. Dr. Strangelove is a former Nazi rocket scientist who has no control over his left arm which alternately attacks him and gives the Nazi salute.

George C. Scott plays SAC commander General Buck Turgidson and has the most dialogue in the film.

Sterling Hayden plays SAC base commander General Jack D. Ripper who goes insane and launches a B-52 strike against the Soviet Union. General Ripper invokes “Wing Attack Plan R” which allows him to launch a retaliatory nuclear attack under the presumption that the Ruskie's have wiped out Washington and the entire chain of command. General Ripper drinks only grain alcohol and rain water to protect his bodily fluids and “essence” from fluoridation.

Keenan Winn plays Colonel “Bat” Guano who thinks that the SAC base has been taken over by a “mutiny of pre-verts”.

Slim Pickens plays Major “King” Kong who evades the entire Russian defense force by flying his B-52 low to the ground and rides a 30 megaton device to the target after successfully getting the jammed bomb bay doors to open.

James Earl Jones, in his film debut, plays a crewman aboard the B-52.

The film has many wonderful segments of B-52’s in flight (some are simulated) and the background music gets your blood pumping.

The film has many memorable scenes and everybody probably has their favorite. My favorite is when the President asks General Buck Turgidson if a single B-52 has a chance of penetrating Soviet defenses and he replies with an animated demonstration of a B-52 flying so low that it barbecues chickens with its exhaust and says “Hell …” with the word yes not spoken.

It is a great film by Stanley Kubrick.

Do you have a favorite scene?

2. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Gentlemen, There will no fighting in the WAR Room!

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Peter Sellers (Capt. Lionel Mandrake) re: being tortured by the Japanese... "Funny thing is...they make such bloody good cameras."
    Slim Pickens was just awesome: "Here we go, toe-to-toe with the Ruuskies - nuclear combat!"
    There were so many great lines...hard to pick just one. Buck Turgidson: "Sug..don't forget to say your prayers." Quoting Jack Ripper: "Our boys will give you the best possible start, and you sure as hell won't stop them now. God willing, we will prevail, through the purity of essence of our bodily.....fluids." Hysterical. Best Regards, Ed

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Slim Pickens riding the bomb was a hoot!

5. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Gen. Turgidson, "Ten to Twenty million killed tops!"

6. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    RAF Group Commander Lionel Mandrake to Col Keenan Win, 'Col Bat Guano. if that is your name."

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The combat scenes on the base are especially interesting. Kubrick wanted them to look like a war correspondent had filmed them.<br>
    <br>
    Most of my favorite scenes have been outlined above...but here are some more...<br>
    <br>
    I get a laugh every time I see Gen. Ripper pull a 1919 out of his golf bag. Classic. I've always wanted to show up at a gun range and do that.<br>
    <br>
    And Buck Turgidson all but drooling over the prospect of dozens of females to male ratio to repopulate the planet, like a hareem.<br>
    <br>
    "You'll have to answer to the Coca Cola company."<br>
    <br>
    James Earl Jones as Lieutenant Lothar Zogg: "Negative function."<br>
    <br>
    Dr. Strangelove: "Yes, but, uh, the whole idea of the Doomsday Machine is lost... if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell the world, eh??"<br>
    Soviet Ambassador: "It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Premier loves surprises."<br>
    <br>
    And the whole POE (Purity of Essence or Peace On Earth) thing was a hoot.<br>
    <br>
    If you want to download some sound bites from the movie, click the link.

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

You guys have good memories.

Another highlight in the movie is when Major “King” Kong (Slim Pickens) performs the “Survival Kit Contents Check” in his trademark Texas drawl:

One .45 caliber automatic pistol

Two boxes of ammunition

Four days concentrated food rations

One drug issue containing:
    - One issue Antibiotic
    - One issue Morphine
    - One issue Vitamin pills
    - One issue Pep pills
    - One issue Sleeping pills
    - One issue Tranquilizer pills

One combination Russian phrase book and Bible

One hundred dollars in rubles

One hundred dollars in gold

Nine packs chewing gum

One issue prophylactic

Three lipsticks

Three pairs nylon stockings

The Major ends the “Survival Kit Contents Check” with the advice that “Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Las Vegas with all this stuff!”

9. Model12SuperPigeon

Model12SuperPigeon TS Member

Certainly one of my favorite movies! Get the 40th Anniversary Edition DVD...lots of bonus extras.

Favorite lines...Turgidson "They'll see everything...they'll see the big board!"

and Merkin Muffley "...well, I'll tell you what he did...he went and ordered his planes...to...uh...attack your country"

Catch-22 is another of my favorites!

Tim

10. cmh

cmh Member

Dr. Strangelove-- "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk"

Gen. Jack D. Ripper---"Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?"

Gen. "Buck" Turgidson---" Mr. President, I'm beginning to smell a big fat Commie rat. "

General "Buck" Turgidson-- Sir, you can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!

11. cmh

cmh Member

Dr. Strangelove-- "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk"

Gen. Jack D. Ripper---"Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?"

Gen. "Buck" Turgidson---" Mr. President, I'm beginning to smell a big fat Commie rat. "

General "Buck" Turgidson-- Sir, you can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.