1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

dr.longshot--Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Can you explain your zero pitch? How does pitch affect or have an effect on a flinch?

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If a stock has too much down pitch the stock will come up into the face and you will be raising your head or possibly flinching because of the force of the recoil into the face.

To check pitch, put you gun against a wall, recoil pad touching the floor and gun standing un-restricted and measure the distance from the wall to the rib at the front bead. If it is 2 1/2 inches or more it may cause the stock to come up into the face, some people with different shoulder angles it will have different effects. That is why I suggested using shims under the recoil pad to change pitch until you get an angle that works best.

If you look at foreign made trap gun pictures you will notice the angle of the recoil pad.

I just bought the Browning un-single combo and it had 4 inches of down pitch, I cut the stock to just put it at zero pitch and it came out to be 14 1/8 inch LOP
    and the gun fit better and shot better for me.

When a stock recoils up into the face your mind detects pain and normal reflexes tell us to get away from it, result raising up the head or flinching to get away from the pain., A bruised face is an often result of too much pitch.

I hope this answers your question.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. Dr.Longshot

One other thing that I did not discuss was cast, this is a different problem, your cast whether right or left hand should put your eye direct in line with the beads, exactly aligned every time you mount the gun, whether you stack the beads or rifle sight the beads like I do, gun stock fit is the nost important thing, POI is the next important thing, when you have a gun shooting good for you take it to the pattern board and fire it with 5 shots, and keep the pattern paper for future reference, as in buying a new gun to check POI or if you get into a slump, lost weight or gained weight, all considered.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Dr.Longshot

My Kolar T/S has the #2 stock with the following measurments
    Comb 1-5/8
    Montecarlo 1-5/8
    Heel 2-3/4
    Cast "0"
    offset 1/2
    toe 5/8
    grip length 4.0 in
    Lop changed to 14 inches with "0" pitch

With the comb dimensuions at 1-5/8 I need to have longer pins that needed to be ordered from Kolar, I normally shoot approx 1-1/4 drop at comb. The 1/2 inch offset is perfect for me and gives excellent bead alignment.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. shot410ga

dr.longshot: Thanks, this what I was looking for. You explained pitch and it's effect, very well.

6. shot410ga

I checked the gun. I have 2" from the front bead to the wall. It looks like I would have to put about a 1/4" spacer in the toe of the recoil pad to correct to 0" from the wall. If I go more than a 1/4", will that reduce the barrel jump even moore? I have a PFS stock, and do get a lot of muzzle jump. No recoil to speak of, but a real jump of the barrel.

7. Dr.Longshot

If you get too much negative pitch your recoil pad may not fit right on your shoulder, but try it and se if it works for you, I have shot negative pich in the past, but not since putting on weight over the years.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.