1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Laura Winkel Smashes 99 in HC....TWICE!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Lady KX-5, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady KX-5

Lady KX-5 TS Member

NEWS RELEASE....
    June 28, 2007

Wearing a pin in the shape of a target that said, "I Shoot Like A Girl", Dr. Laura Wynecoop Winkel smashed 99 out of 100 targets in both the Preliminary AND Championship Handicap at the Washington State Shoot held in Spokane, Washington June 21-24 to win the Handicap Champion trophy in both events.

Winning the first handicap outright, she then gave a Doubles lesson, shooting a score of 99 in the Championship Doubles, tying Travis Iksic, of Irby, Washington.

Other trophies won by Dr. Winkel included High Lady HC in Event 2, High Lady in Doubles, Event 3, and Lady High Overall.

Other Washington women gave outstanding performances as well during the four day event. Kristi Williams and Teresa Kohn went three rounds in overtime, with Kristi finally winning High Lady in Class Championships. Both ladies shot 100 straight to get to the shoot-offs. Kristi shot a 95 in Championship Doubles to win the High Lady trophy. Kristi then shot 199 x 200 to win the High Lady award in Championship Singles. Linda Bergstresser to runner-up with a score of 198, followed by Teresa Kohn with 197. Kristi Williams also took High All Around Lady, with a score of 385 x 400.

Some days it just pays to shoot like a girl.

Submitted by Kim Stephens

2. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Great shooting by those "girls." Congrats to all of them.

Kim, where can I get one of those pins - would you happen to know?

Thanks for posting this.

Sherree

3. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Kim, don't forget Rosalie Nicholson who broke 100 for High Vet. in event 4 and followed it up with a 99 the next day. She also broke several scores in the high 90's in the handicap from 25yds. Richard

4. Lady KX-5

Lady KX-5 TS Member

Sherree...it was at the Grand when it was in Vandalia. I'm sure another vendor might have the same pin in Sparta.

Richard...how coudl I forget Rosalie? She whupped up on the ladies AND the vets!

5. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Kim;
    Received buckle in the mail today. I thank you for your efforts. Richard

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Interesting to note that in 1981 Del Wynecoop, father of Laura Wynecoop Winkle, won the Washington State Singles Championship.

Congratulations to Laura on her outstanding performance and also on her All-American team membership!

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Great shooting!!! Would have been fun to be able to watch.

8. Lady KX-5

Lady KX-5 TS Member

I'll tell you what....Laura is a study in smoothness. I could watch her shoot all day. The only bad thing about being a lady and shooting trap in Washington State is that my chances of winning a trophy against these powerhouses is next to nil.

Although I DID win a 3 person team trophy shooting with Laura and Teresa in the Inland Empire 3 years ago. I don't have to tell you who shot the lowest on the team. *grin*

Keith had some good points about Laura. She started shooting with her dad at a young age. She has now made the All American team for seven years straight. Kristi and Teresa have been on the All American team themselves for several years as well.

We're very proud of our ladies! (I'll brag on the juniors and sub-juniors in a later post, LOL)

Thanks to all who responded!

~Kim

9. Lady KX-5

Lady KX-5 TS Member

Here is a picture of our resident All American after her Doubles performance

[​IMG]

Way to go, Laura!

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

She is a very nice lady to shoot with and have look after your eye glasses prescription. She refers to herself as Laura. How many 99's from the 27 have you broken??

11. Lady KX-5

Lady KX-5 TS Member

Tom:

She NEVER refers to herself as Dr Laura Winkel when she shoots. The reason she uses her earned title for publication is that she wishes people to know (who don't know already) that her specialized degree, being an optometrist who understands the needs of a trapshooter, is available to those who may have need for it. I suspect that that's the whole reason she became an optometrist to begin with; to help fellow trapshooters with the most important element of shooting.

She would NEVER correct someone at a shoot for calling her by her given name. She is not pretentious in the least in that way.

I referred to her in the professional sense because I respect the degree she has earned for herself in the field of optometry. I find it odd that someone would even take issue with it.

Congrats on your two 99's. That's fair shooting for anyone, regardless of the presence (or lack thereof) of a medical degree.

Kim

12. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've shot with her a few times and she is cheerful and unpretentious. I also had the unfortunate luck to shoot againt her in a shoot off - she is very intense.

Eric

13. recurvyarcher

She may be intense, but she is cute as a button! She deserves the respect of her hard-earned professional title, and the respect of the trapshooters, too, for her great shooting. JMO.

14. jennylin

jennylin Member

She is probably one of the most gracious shooters you will ever meet. NEVER pretentious or boastful. Always congratulatory and encouraging to other shooters. I only see her once or twice a year, but she has always been one of the people I look up to.

15. Lady KX-5

Lady KX-5 TS Member

Hey Jen:

<i>"She is probably one of the most gracious shooters you will ever meet. NEVER pretentious or boastful. Always congratulatory and encouraging to other shooters. I only see her once or twice a year, but she has always been one of the people I look up to."</i>

Funny....the same could be said for you, too! :)

Take care, and we'll see you soon!

~Kim

16. recurvyarcher

Y'all sound like a great group of girls!!! Hope I get to shoot with you sometime in the near future.

Devi

17. jennylin

jennylin Member

Kim,

What a nice thing to say. I think, for the most part, we have a pretty nice group of ladies we get to shoot with. As with any group, there are always a few bad apples, but I really enjoy almost all of the Oregon and Washington ladies.

Jen

18. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

I've never had the pleasure of meeting Laura personally. She is an outstanding trapshooter and sounds like a wonderful human being.

Rick

19. bas

bas Member

Congratulations Laura...you are are knocking on the door for a 100 from the 27. As stated above, Laura is a very super lady and a terrific shooter. Haven't seen her in awhile, but hopefully I will see her at the Grand. And congratulations to our "part time" Arizonan, Kristi Williams, on winning the WA Lady Singles Championship - and, the great score!

20. recurvyarcher

Way to go, Kristi!! (from Martin and Devi)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap rosalie nicholson womens