1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DR-FO12 wads: what loads do they work best in?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

i have the wads, i just don't have a decent load to shoot them up with. this wad was redesigned from the original with something in mind - i just don't know what it was. have any of you guys come across the niche which the fo fits perfectly? thanks

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

DR-FO1 is not a wad I know of. Does the DR part mean Down Range? They don't have an FO12 wad that I can find. A picture would help.

3. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

If these are the blue 1oz wads, I load them the same app. as the Federal 12SO wad. I load Fio 616 primer-18.5gr. Red Dot and 1oz hard 7.5s for bio targets and 8s' for pitch targets in either Federal top Gun or Gold Medal cases. Bill

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"DR-FO1 is not a wad I know of. Does the DR part mean Down Range? They don't have an FO12 wad that I can find."</I></blockquote>It's just right there in the on-line catalog... #5 on the <I>12 gauge wad list</I><center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

I have read mutterings on other forums of fitment problems with these wads in Federal hulls. The wad seems to be a good bit taller than both the 12S0 and the 12S3. The over-powder cup is supposedly also too small in diameter for straight-walled hulls. They seem to be more suited (if not intended for) high capacity Euro straight-wall hulls like Rio. Since I don't mess with Federal or straight hulls I have no first-hand knowledge of this.

Keller

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

The shot cup petals on these wads do seem to be a little bit longer than would be ideal, and are longer than the OEM Fed 12SO wad.

I had a bag to try out and was not as happy with them as I have been with all of the rest of the downrange 12 gauge offerings. I have not bothered with them since.

The DRF3, the xl family, the DRV and the winchester clones have all worked superbly for me. Even had some old purple PC's at one time from downrange that worked great for 1 oz loads in the new AAHS hulls.

6. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

I used them satisfactorily in Rem. hulls, 7/8 oz., replacement for Fed. SO wad in Lymans 5th ed.

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I use them in Remington hulls, 1 oz. loads on top of Clays , they work fine so far

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The shot cup on the F01 is a true 1oz. The 12S0 has a 7/8oz shot cup. Try using denser powders in Gold Medal hulls.

The bottom of the powder cup has a smaller diameter than euro wads designed for straight walled Riefenhauser hulls. That is because the Gold Medal hull is not straight walled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.