1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DR Fig8 wad length

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

Does anyone have Downrange Fig 8 and OEM Fig 8 wads to compare? I'd like to know how they compare dimensionally. Is the height from the base to the bottom of the shotcup the same? Also the overall length. I'm almost to the end of 15K of CB Fig8 clones. They have worked well but I guess I'm bored and thinking of trying something different.

Thanks

2. C-Money

C-Money Member

I posted on another thread that the Claybuster Fig 8s are longer than the Reminton Fig 8s. I am courious to know how the DR clones compare to the Rem Fig 8s. I have a few Remington Fig 8s left, and will need to make a purchase soon. I am leaning toward paying for another case of Remingtons.

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Not sure this will help, but I used to load Rem. Fig 8's in Nitro 27's and went to loading the DR fig 8 clone and didn't change anything on my DL-366. love the performance and load-ability of their wad.

Steve

4. plinker611

plinker611 Member

the only diff. i saw was the petals, was no stitch, curled up on some,and you would have to fight hich hikers(2 wads stuck togeather),and worry about petals folding over in shell) whyle reloading,(i went back to the remington).mark

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

wlc: Stay with your CBs or the Rems. you'll be happier & save yourself a lot of frustration from funny sounding--soft (light) recoil etc. I tried some DRs & had people asking me why some (most) of my reloads sounded OK but 4 or 5 out of every box sounded "funny". JME ---Ross Puls

6. maka

maka Member

I have been using DR. Fig 8 clones for approx. 5yrs. Shoot in 32dgr. to minus 20drg. weather. Use promo and Fed 209's when cold. Change to Win 209 when above 32dgr. Never had any problems. If you have more ?. Google Downrange and call them. They are very helpful with info. Good Luck.

7. wlc

wlc Member

Anyone have both a DR Fig8 and a Rem Fig8 they could set side by side and compare?

8. geeber

geeber Member

This is not a very good photo, but you can see the difference between a Remington fig 8 and a new Downrange fig 8 with the 8 petal design. From base to bottom of shotcup is .820 on the Downrange and .920 on the Remington. The shotcups are the same.

Gary B.

9. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I just went out to my loading press and loaded the Rem figure 8 and loaded the DR figure Yellow 8 petal into once fired Nitro cases over 21.5 gr Green Dot. Crimps look identical and both are hard to distinguish from new shells. I also use Fio616 primers and have never had a blooper or funny sounding load. I see no difference in performance. Both shoot better than my ability. I do notice that the 8 petal DR wad only travel about 25-30 yards. The yellow DR wad petals do not fold over while seating and no wads stick together. I like them. Sometimes Rem wads are hard to find at a reasonable cost. Bill

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have shot DR Figure 8 wads for a least 3 years. Maybe longer.

I first picked up some samples at our Iowa State Shoot.

I tried them and liked them.

I found no discernible differences in shooting them from the real McCoy.

I reload approximately 10,000 a year, so I have given them a pretty good test.

No bloopers in the winter time or the extreme heat of summer.

They are just an all around great wad!

And no, I don't work for the company.

Hauxfan!

11. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks for the pictures Gary. That's what I was wanting to see.

12. geeber

geeber Member

My pleasure wlc, I'm glad I was able to help.

Gary B.

13. FLIP

FLIP Member

sorry geeber,, but those are not the same wad, the green one is a TGT not the fig 8 wad, downrange now makes both in 8peddle one is the TGT (taller wad for small powder like Titegroup) the other is a fig8(shorter for bulkier powder) , yes almost the same wad but fig 8 is shorter, part of the O in the wad is shorter, i use the TGT because i load 1oz and 1 1/8 with same great wad

14. geeber

geeber Member

I'm really sorry, you are right FLIP. Thanks for pointing that out. I grabbed a wad without looking at the bag. Here is a photo of the real Fig. 8.

Gary B.
    geeber_2008_03037.jpg

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

geeber, the newer figure 8 is a gold color now.

I'm on my 2nd or 3rd box. Maybe even 4th. 5000 in a box,

Great wad!

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

base wad length

fig 8 or dr rf8