1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Andrew Jones' book is finally available!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Neil Winston, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you are interested at all in how shotguns work, how chokes perform and why, or how targets break and why you need to get this book and read it. There is nothing like it and there never has been. It is, really, the last word in information, analysis, and documentation. You will love it*, I guarantee.

Neil

* well, parts of it you may hate, because you are going to have to change your mind, but that aside you will love it.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have been reading a copy for the last few weeks. It is great but I have to take it in small bites. Every page is loaded with data. It answers many questions I never thought of asking. This book should be in every shooters library.

Neil- I was surprised at the test that placed a steel plate half way between the target and the gun. The plate only blocked the left one half of the target. It became clear that some shot on the right half of the pattern that cleared the steel plate actually curved over to the left side and hit the left half of the paper. I had always assumed that the shot traveled in a straight line until it hit the ground. Not the case. Shot are curving around, up, down, right and left in the pattern.

A fascinating book.

Pat Ireland

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I read the first 5 chapters of the book on-line through the link Neil posted. It's pricey but I may have to buy a copy for myself.

Based purely on what I read and on the chapter titles in the table of contents, I expect that the book will be knowledge for it's own sake rather than for practical application.

MK

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The ultimate in shotgun reading and myths busted. I haven't finished the online read yet but I must have a copy of the most comprehensive book on the subject I've ever heard of!!

Hap

5. DANNY

DANNY Member

So it is a great book. Where do we buy it from. Thanks Danny

6. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"...Where do we buy it from. ..."</i></blockquote>The link in Neil's post opens to a "US Orders Click Here" link.

Amazon lists the book as "Out of Print...Limited Availability" which probably means it not being marketed through them.

MK

7. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Neil, thanks for this post.

8. Neil Winston

9. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I ordered mine. Too bad that it's not hard covered for 55.00 plus shipping.

Ed Yanchok

10. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

I order mine. Too bad that I'm not smart enough to understand it for 55.00 plus shipping (but I'm sure going to try!)

Calamity

11. Unknown1

For $55, it should come with its own interpreter.

MK

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I'll wait to get mine at a garage sale. HMB

13. Unknown1

In about 6 months there should be a number of them available for cheap through Amazon's used book sellers.

Other than the techno-babble, bits of it will probably be interesting but there's not a heck of a lot you can do with the information. You're using a factory gun with a factory choke to shoot factory ammo (or factory components) at factory targets. You're sorta stuck with the results you get.

Knowing WHY things happen is a whole lot less important than seeing THAT they happen when and how you want them to.

MK

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- Some of us enjoy learning why things happen. There is some practical information in the book. One example, I am quoting from part of the back cover "Ever wounder just how much better a premium cartridge preforms relative to budget variants".

Pat Ireland

15. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

I'm looking forward to my copy for exactly that reason, Pat--I want the scientifically proven facts behind commonplace beliefs. My thought is that a book such as this is one way to a much richer understanding of our sport. If I can occasionally gain even one more bird out of a hundred or help someone else with the info, I'll consider the price a great bargain. Besides, who can put a value of knowledge?

Calamity

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

" well, parts of it you may hate, because you are going to have to change your mind, but that aside you will love it."

Neil, Iam ordering. We'll see if he can change my simple mind....

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Darn, there goes another idea for a Christmas present...

18. Neil Winston

Don't worry, Devi. He's going to rip his first copy to shreds when he gets to the part about reading target breaks. He should be back from the IUC by Christmas and be calm enough to try again.

Neil

19. racer

racer TS Member

Anyone have trouble getting the web site to take credit card? Dan

20. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I had to use Pay Pal - it wouldn't take my credit card direct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dr andrew jones shooting book