1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange XXL Pink Wads (7/8 oz) - Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Vince McNamara, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

With this wad I am loading 18.3 of clay dot, 7/8 of 8.5, rio primer in a gun club hull. The finished shell looks like factory. I use it for 16yd practice. It breaks the targets real well.

Vince McNamara

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just as a thought ... some 7/8oz wads are really a 24grm wad which is just slightly less than 7/8oz. If memory serves me correctly the difference on #8 is about 50 pellets.

Not all 7/8oz wads are really a 7/8oz wad.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Likewise, I use 18.0 gr Claydot with 7/8 oz of 8 1/2 shot with a ww case and rio primer. Only problem I have on my 366 is I have to give the wad seating sleeve a little boost to allow the wad to slide into the case. Excellent load!

Chrono'd @ 1300 fps...

Make sure you have a deep crimp, not one of those 'woosy' light ones. Compare it to a factory crimp....If you have too, give it that .5 grain powder, or open up your shot cup to give you another 8-10 bb's....

Jim

4. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

John ,

Any chance you can lighten your wad seating force ? My load is essentially a dupe of Perazzi Big Bore's in STS/Nitro cases and the reload is really nice .

Charlie

5. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

You did not say what loader you have. If it is a MEC then trial nand error on the crimping die will make perfect reloads with any hull using 7/8 oz. I use a MEC 650 and load 3/4 oz and 5/8 oz loads using the DR pink wad. Again, with adjustments of the crimping die I get quality loads with any hull I try. I have heard that other loaders do not allow the crimping adjustments as the MEC loader does.

6. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I use the XL-1 downrange wads for my 24 gram load. AA hull with win primer and 19 grains of solo 1000. 370 grains (which is 24 grams) of 7.5 hard shot and 0 wad seating pressure. I use a mec 650 and my reloads close up perfect at the end and look just like a factory shell. Few people can tell the difference between my reload using a once fired hull and a factory AA shell. These are also soft shooting and pattern well. Using the XL-1 wad, the pellets are level with the top of the shot cup.

Mr. Mark

7. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

How fast do you want them to go? I didn't Chrono mine but the 1300+ FPS were breaking the rocks in Pondos all night long. I didn't have the heart to tell the big dogs that I was striking them with 1/4" oz less of lead each shot. LOL Page 138 Hodgdon's 2007 book. International Clays and Tightwad both have recipes up to 1400 FPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

down range xxl pink

down range xxl pink wad

pink wad

pink xxl wads

vince mcnamara trapshooter