1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange XL1 vs. DRRT12: Quick Review

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dannyw68, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

I've been shooting green Downrange XL1 wads in STS hulls with 1 oz of shot for about 2 years now and have always had an issue with dished crimps with dense powders like 700X and lighter charges of e3 and red dot. Aside from that, I really liked how they shot and went through the loader with no problems.

I just recently switched to Downrange DRRT12 wads (TGT12 clones) and they have solved the crimp issue. The base of the shot cup is about 1/16" higher than the XL1's, which takes up the extra space. They are just as smooth in the loader and I cant tell a difference when shooting them.

Just thought I'd share the info.

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Danny, I feel the same way.

The XL1 are just a hair too short, but load great and little fouling. They seem to shoot and pattern fine, I just don't like the dished crimp.

I just bought 5,000 of the DRA1 AA clones and they are not any longer. Dished crimps there too. Wish I'd bought a bag or two instead of the case.

I will try the TGT12 Rem clones on the next case.

I do use the DR Fig8 clone for 1-1/8 and have very good luck with that wad.

SW

3. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I use 16.5 grs promo and had the same problem,Weigh your shot charge and make sure it isn't light I found that my 1oz shot bushing was about 10 grs. light I opened it up to throw a full 1oz and the dished crimps went away.Jerry

4. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

I did weigh the shot charge. To get reasonable crimps, after trying every crimp setting imaginable while using the XL1's, I had to ream out my bushing to drop approx. 1.02 oz of shot. The crimps were still dished, but not leaking.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The slightly dished crimp is just a cosmetic detail as long as the shoulder of the crimp is the proper depth. The pattern produced by the XL-1 is what keeps me coming back to them.

Don't use ANY wad pressure when you insert them...NONE. Just get the ends of the petals down to where the crimp shoulder would start, drop the shot and let the crimp push the wad down the hull. It doesn't have to compress the powder.

The XL-1 fits the AA HS hull perfectly with the AA hull's slightly lower capacity but it works perfectly in the Remington as well.

MK

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I use DR Jammer XL-1s with a dense powder (PB) and an ounce of shot (actually 15/16ths of an ounce). I do exactly what Unknown1 suggests and get nice flat crimps. You do not need wad pressure and if you ask Kevin at Downrange how much you should use, he'll tell you that less is better and none is best.

Ed

7. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Drop a spent primer in the cup to take up space. They only weighs 15 grains apiece and will not raise pressures very much. Or you could raid your kid's ceral and drop in Rice Krispies or Cheerios or Coca Puffs in instead.

Ron

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I don't believe wad pressure makes any difference with the new slippery wads. They just migrate back up to where they want to be. I've had no trouble with the XL-1's with ClayDot. I just adjust my crimp die correctly (H366) and run AA, STS, gunclubs thru without any issues...

Jim

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

XL-1 works perfectly for me with Clays, but Clays is bulky.

10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I use Downrange DRRT12 1oz wads in my STS and gun club hull. I use 17.5 Promo or 16.5 700x or 17.5 clays it work fine for me. No crimp problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

downrange drrt 12 wads

downrange drrt12 reviews